Springer Nature is one of the world’s leading global research, educational and professional publishers. It is home to an array of respected and trusted brands and imprints, with more than 170 years of combined history behind them, providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services. Every day, around the globe, our imprints, books, journals and resources reach millions of people, helping researchers and scientists to discover, students to learn and professionals to achieve their goals and ambitions. The company has almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries.
Associate Editor, Birkhäuser
Springer Nature is seeking to appoint an Associate Editor to acquire and publish content within part of its existing Mathematics book portfolio within a strategic framework determined by the Editor. The ideal candidate will possess excellent communication skills, both oral and written, as building and maintaining strong working relationships with authors, series editors, and other partners, both external and internal, is essential to this role.
- Acquire and publish content in assigned subject areas
- Identify potential authors and important topics by researching new and emerging trends in the market, both national and international
- Develop relationships with academics, researchers, authors, etc., in order to maintain a network of subject-area experts, peer reviewers, and potential authors
- Maintain existing book portfolio and relationships with series editors, editorial board members, authors, etc.
- Solicit, evaluate, and develop book proposals, including managing the external peer review process
- Negotiate contract terms with authors
- Assist authors with manuscript preparation as needed
- Prepare final manuscripts for handover to production and remain a point of contact for authors throughout the production process
- Meet annual goals set by editorial management for contracts signed and manuscripts put into production
- Business travel (domestic/international) as required
Experience, Skills, and Qualifications
- Educated to degree level (or equivalent)
- Have excellent English language skills, both verbal and written, and be numerate and IT systems-literate, with a sharp eye for detail
- 3-4 years of work experience in a professional office environment (preferably publishing)
- Be a diplomatic and assertive individual who is able to work with demanding stake-holders
- Be able to organize and prioritize numerous tasks and work independently in a team environment
- Be resourceful and proactive in dealing with problems and queries
- Excellent networking skills
- A graduate degree in mathematics or another STEM field
To apply for the position, please submit a resume or CV and a cover letter, including your salary expectations and date you are available to start.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.