ASSOCIATE / ANALYST, DEMENTIA DISCOVERY FUND, SV HEALTH INVESTORS
The Dementia Discovery Fund is looking for an ambitious and highly- motivated Associate / Analyst with a deep scientific understanding and a strong entrepreneurial spirit to join the investment team in Boston. This role provides a unique opportunity to become part of a life sciences venture capital fund and has the long-term potential for advancement within the fund.
FUND: The Dementia Discovery Fund (https://theddfund.com)
The Dementia Discovery Fund (DDF) is a £250 million venture capital fund investing in early-stage companies discovering and developing novel, disease-modifying therapeutics for neurodegenerative diseases causing dementia.
SV Health Investors, formerly SV Life Sciences, is a leading healthcare and life sciences venture capital and growth equity firm with a 25-year track record with offices in Boston and London. Since the fund’s initial closing in 2015, the DDF has built a portfolio of 17 investments in drug discovery companies and projects, predominantly located in the UK and US, spanning four key areas of interest including neuroimmunology, trafficking of molecules in and around cell membranes, mitochondrial health and brain synapses. The limited partners include a unique collaboration of leading global pharmaceutical companies, charitable organizations and government agencies.
SV Health Investors LLC is the investment manager of the DDF and is the employing entity for this role. Successful candidates must be able to work in the US.
The Associate/Analyst will assist with the sourcing and evaluation of potential investment and company creation opportunities, the technical and commercial due diligence on investment targets, as well as deal execution and project management. The successful candidate will work closely with the senior investment team and support it on all aspects of both the investment process and portfolio management. She/he will also collaborate with DDF’s scientific advisors and engage with the broader scientific community to provide valuable input to DDF’s portfolio companies.
The Associate/Analyst will be expected to be able to operate in an entrepreneurial environment and exhibit independence and leadership capabilities. The position requires strong communication skills and the successful candidate will frequently interact with our external stakeholders in the life sciences and venture capital industry, as well as the fund’s investors. The position will be based in Boston and will require occasional travel.
RESPONSIBILITIES: (to be adjusted for experience)
• Review and evaluate investment opportunities.
• Lead scientific and commercial due diligence in partnership with the DDF investment team and outside experts, incl. primary and secondary research.
• Prepare and maintain the internal investment documentation on potential investments and portfolio companies, including investment case presentations and financial analyses.
• Be actively involved in portfolio management.
• Establish and build relationships with key academics and executives, attend industry events.
• Create, update and maintain proprietary firm databases.
• For the Analyst role, keep the team current on major developments in the field, by gathering intelligence on industry pipelines, new research findings, new companies, and other relevant information.
• Perform other tasks as necessary to support the team.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS:
• Advanced scientific degree (Ph.D.) required.
• Strong mechanistic understanding of disease, with prior experience in neuroscience being a strong plus.
• Excellent numerical and analytical skills required. Prior experience in venture capital, strategic consulting, equity research or business or corporate development in life sciences required for the Associate profile.
• Must be an entrepreneurial individual with the ability to work independently in a dynamic, fast- moving environment. Must be able to pro-actively prioritize competing demands and deliver high- quality results.
• Exceptional written, verbal and interpersonal skills (including networking) required. Experience in written and oral communication to senior executive level audiences a plus.
• Must have strong integrity, judgement, work ethic, and be a team player.
Please submit your application (Cover Letter, CV) to Jenni Lee (email@example.com).
Please note this description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this position. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
SV Health Investors, LLC is an equal opportunity employer and affords equal opportunity to all applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation or any other status protected under local, state or federal laws. Successful candidates must be able to work in the U.S. for other than practical training. Nothing in this job posting should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.