Assistant Editor—The Lancet journals
You will be joining The Lancet’s current team of Assistant Editors and Senior Assistant Editors.
You will need to be a science graduate with at least a good honours degree, and should have experience of editing content for a medical or scientific journal. You will be handling various article types, including primary research and reviews, across the 14 Lancet journals from the point of acceptance (post peer-review) up until publication.
The Assistant Editors do a technical copy-edit, which involves formatting to Lancet style, ensuring articles comply to our robust reporting standards, and making sure the language is understandable to our international readership. The role is an essential extension of the peer-review process for our globally reaching content. You will be working alongside the journal’s editorial team of physicians and scientists and in close cooperation with authors and our production department. You will have the ability to work fast under pressure and some experience of project management.
- At least BSc 2i (MSc or PhD preferred) in biological or related science (or equivalent)
- Editorial experience at a Science, Technology, or Medical journal
- Excellent English language skills
- Ability to work in a team and keep to strict weekly deadlines
- Negotiation skills with members of the medical profession, the media, and other editors
- Computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Word and Adobe InCopy