Assistant Editor, BDA Publications
Closing date: 19th November 2019
Springer Nature publishes a number of dental titles on behalf of the British Dental Association (BDA). The British Dental Journal (BDJ) is the BDA’s flagship journal, predominantly aimed at dentists, published fortnightly both in print and online. BDJ Open is the BDJ’s open access sister journal.
We are seeking an Assistant Editor to work alongside the Editor of the BDJ and BDJ Open. This position is offered on a permanent contract and you will report to the Editor, BDJ and BDJ Open. You will join a friendly and dynamic team committed to developing and delivering high quality content for the dental community in partnership with the British Dental Association.
• Manage the receipt and processing of journal manuscripts, including all manuscript correspondence, allocation and follow-up of referees and author decision letters.
• Copy edit articles for spelling, sense, grammar and conformity to house style, and apply the BDJ journal formatting.
• Assist with the running of the BDJ Twitter and Facebook accounts, writing and scheduling regular tweets/posts highlighting content in BDA publications.
• Manage BDJ obituary and book review content.
• Take on administrative tasks and editorial projects for BDA publications as and when they arise.
• Take on writing projects for the BDA publications as required.
• Take responsibility for Evidence Based Dentistry website, including checking and approval of EBD issues and e-alerts and preparing usage reports.
• Take the minutes at BDA publications meetings as required.
Experience, skills and qualifications
• A graduate degree
• Excellent personal organisation skills, with the ability to manage time and projects successfully to meet deadlines, achieve agreed goals, and deal with a wide variety of tasks, prioritising appropriately.
• Strong editing skills.
• Excellent English language and communication skills, including accurate spelling and grammar.
• Meticulous attention to detail.
• Strong administrative skills and demonstrable experience of office administration are required.
• Proven ability to work successfully as part of a team is essential.
• Experience in journals publishing, ideally of working on a society journal.
• Knowledge of science, technical, and medical (STM) publishing, including usage, citation metrics and developments in the market would be an advantage
• Experience of using a peer review management system such as eJP or Editorial Manager.
• Ability to compose sensitive correspondence requiring tact, accuracy and confidentiality.
To make an application to this position please submit a CV and a cover letter that details your interest and enthusiasm for the position, including your salary expectations.