Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory, located on the North Shore of Long Island, has an immediate opening for a scientifically qualified Assistant Content Lead for its rapidly growing preprint server bioRxiv. The person in this new position will join the team that screens submitted papers. The successful candidate will engage with authors, the affiliate scientists who assess manuscripts suitability for posting, readers who comment on posted manuscripts, and community members with questions about preprint server procedures and policies. Applicants must be able to handle overlapping projects and deadlines simultaneously. Attention to detail and ease of communication with stakeholders that include scientists, technologists, and business colleagues are essential.
Responsibilities will include:
- Assisting with the daily screening of bioRxiv submissions
- Communicating with authors who have submitted manuscripts about decisions, appeals, withdrawals, and other issues
- Answering queries concerning procedures and policies
- Responding to correspondence concerning preprints already posted on the bioRxiv server
- Moderating submitted comments for on-site posting
- Liaising with the Content Lead to develop screening policies and procedures
- Assisting the Content Lead and bioRxiv founders in preprint advocacy and education, including attendance at scientific conferences, engagement in social media, and other outreach
- Liaising with other bioRxiv staff on interactions with journals, publishers, manuscript submission systems, and hosting vendors and other server partners
- Assisting in team projects to expand the scope, reach, and functionality of bioRxiv and medRxiv
Education: PhD in biological sciences is required.
- In-depth understanding of all aspects of the communication of biomedical research results, including a working knowledge of manuscript submission systems
- Excellence in written and verbal interactions with authors and others
- Strong interpersonal team-oriented skills
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- 1 year of postdoctoral research
- Editorial (or other) experience in manuscript assessment and/or selection for biomedical research journals
Please apply for the position via the CSHL careers website at: http://cshl.peopleadmin.com/postings/16002
Position Number: 01391-A
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package. Visa sponsorship for international applicants is also possible.
Founded in 1890, CSHL has helped shape contemporary biomedical research and education with todays research endeavors encompassing cancer, neuroscience, plant biology and quantitative biology. CSHL is a private, not-for-profit institution in New York and has been home to eight Nobel Prize winners. Today, CSHLs multidisciplinary scientific community is bolstered by more than 600 researchers and its Scientific Meetings & Courses Program, which hosts more than 9,000 scientists from around the world each year on its campus.
For more information about CSHL, please visit us at www.cshl.edu.
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor