We have an excellent opportunity for up to 5 Advanced Research Assistants to join our growing Tree of Life team.
About the Research:
The Darwin Tree of Life Project is a major national initiative, led by the Wellcome Sanger Institute, to provide high-quality ‘reference’ genome sequences for all eukaryotic species in the Atlantic archipelago (Britain and Ireland). The project includes a wide range of partners across the UK such as the National History Museum (NHM), Kew Gardens, The Royal Botanic Gardens Edinburgh, The Earlham Institute, Wytham Woods and the Marine Biological Association (MBA).
About the Role:
The Advanced Research Assistants will be responsible for assisting with the day to day running and organisation of a shared laboratory, working collaboratively with others in the team as well as across the institute. The role will include supporting 3 critical tasks:
1) Genomics R&D – running and analysing multiple experiments, including using multiple kits, protocols in parallel and assessing their effectiveness.
2) Sample Management – At peak sample collection times during the year, the Sanger Institute will receive large numbers of organism samples which need to be handled, stored, documented and submitted properly.
3) Support to DNA Pipelines – The post-holder may be required to provide support to the DNA Pipelines facility to augment their capacity in DNA/RNA extractions, long range sequencing library preparation, HiC and Haplotagging.
You will be an excellent communicator and have experience of working collaboratively with others. You will be organised with the ability to work flexibly to support a number of projects and changing priorities.
• A biological sciences degree (BSc or equivalent)
• Significant experience in molecular biology techniques including DNA extraction and RNA extraction
• Must be able to work independently and as part of a team
• A “can-do” attitude and adaptable when work priorities need to shift
• Excellent organisation and record keeping skills
• Basic computer skills, including data entry and management
• Scientific understanding of troubleshooting and process improvement
• Previous experience demonstrating excellent communication and collaboration skills
• Experience of molecular biological components of genomics work
• Demonstrable success in working to deadlines and with numerous priorities
• Experience working with advanced instrumentation
This role is a rolling vacancy and we will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. Please apply early to avoid disappointment.
The Wellcome Sanger Institute is a world leading genomics research centre. We undertake large-scale research that forms the foundations of knowledge in biology and medicine. Our findings are used to improve health and to understand life on Earth. Find out more at www.sanger.ac.uk or follow us on Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Youtube and on our Blog.
Set across 130 acres, just outside of Cambridge, The Sanger Institute is located on the stunning Wellcome Genome Campus. Home to some of the world’s foremost institutes and organisations in genomics and computational biology, committed to delivering life-changing science with the reach, scale, and creativity to solve some of humanity’s greatest challenges.
There’s an attractive benefits package on offer at the Genome Wellcome Campus. We appreciate the importance of achieving work-life balance and support this with a number of family and carer-friendly policies. Plus a flexible working policy for those who may wish to amend their working pattern or arrangement.
As well as the usual benefits you would expect, we go much further:
• 25 days annual leave (extra 1 day to a maximum of 30 days for every year you work)
• Auto-enrolment into a generous Group Defined Contribution Pension Scheme, with enhanced company contribution (for more information, see our Pensions page)
• Up to 2 days annual paid volunteering leave
• Up to 10 days paid Emergency Carers Leave per year
• Family friendly environment including options for flexible and part-time working, an on-site Workplace Nursery salary Sacrifice Schemes for pre-school children and Summer holiday club
• Life Assurance Cover and a Group Income Protection Scheme (if on a contract of 12 months or more)
• Enhanced maternity leave and parental leave
• Access to substantial number of courses and training events onsite
• Private Healthcare Scheme (after 6 months service)
• Eyecare and Dental payment plans
• Concessions and discounts from our corporate perks site
Being part of the Genome Wellcome Campus you will be part of the beautiful working environment with an impressive range of benefits, services and facilities also including:
• Free bus service to and from Campus, covering various routes around Cambridge, Saffron Walden and surrounding villages
• A car-share initiative
• Free parking
• A number of on-site venues where you can meet, eat and socialise with colleagues
• A thriving Sports and Social Club which provides members with subsidised access to a gym, tennis courts, sports hall, fitness classes and a vibrant social calendar of events
Find out more about our Genome Wellcome Campus.
We hold an Athena SWAN Bronze Award and will consider all individuals without discrimination and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees, where everyone can thrive.