Post-Doctoral Research Fellow, Humoral Immunity to Viral Infections
3 days left
- Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center
- 31 Jan 2023
- 01 Apr 2023
- Job Type
- Employment - Hours
- Full time
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center is an independent, nonprofit organization providing adult cancer treatment and groundbreaking research focused on cancer and infectious diseases. Based in Seattle, Fred Hutch is the only National Cancer Institute-designated cancer center in Washington.
With a track record of global leadership in bone marrow transplantation, HIV/AIDS prevention, immunotherapy and COVID-19 vaccines, Fred Hutch has earned a reputation as one of the world’s leading cancer, infectious disease and biomedical research centers. Fred Hutch operates eight clinical care sites that provide medical oncology, infusion, radiation, proton therapy and related services, and network affiliations with hospitals in five states. Together, our fully integrated research and clinical care teams seek to discover new cures to the world’s deadliest diseases and make life beyond cancer a reality.
At Fred Hutch we value collaboration, compassion, determination, excellence, innovation, integrity and respect. These values are grounded in and expressed through the principles of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our mission is directly tied to the humanity, dignity and inherent value of each employee, patient, community member and supporter. Our commitment to learning across our differences and similarities make us stronger. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an anti-racist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, anti-racism and inclusion.
The Boonyaratanakornkit Laboratory within the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division is recruiting a post-doctoral fellow with experience in virology, molecular biology, and/or immunology. The lab studies viruses that afflict vulnerable patients who are at heightened risk for serious complications or death. We study the humoral immune system (B cells and antibodies) using highly sensitive techniques to identify protective responses against viruses. We leverage this information to develop immune-based therapies with the goal of improving the care of vulnerable patients. Current projects in the lab are aimed at studying rare B cells targeting common viruses, like respiratory syncytial virus, human metapneumovirus, parainfluenza viruses, coronaviruses, and cytomegalovirus. The lab is engineering antibodies to enhance their ability to prevent and treat viral infections in vulnerable patients.
Our lab is seeking a post-doctoral fellow who is interested in studying humoral immune responses to viral infections and developing drugs that protect against viral infections. We strive to provide a supportive, collegial, diverse, inclusive, fun, and exciting research and training environment. Check out our lab website for more information: https://research.fredhutch.org/boonyaratanakornkit/en.html
- Perform standard laboratory techniques, such as PCR, cell culture, ELISA, cloning, and flow cytometry
- Produce and purify proteins and viruses
- Perform high throughput neutralization assays
- Work with preclinical small animal models of viral infection
- Collect, analyze, interpret, and record experimental data
- Design, plan, coordinate, initiate, and implement scientific projects with Dr. Boonyaratanakornkit and collaborators
- Develop new protocols and new ideas for projects or approaches based on research interests and knowledge of the literature
- Identify methodological problems in research protocols and implement modifications to optimize experimental results
- Present data at meetings/seminars and prepare manuscripts for publication
- A doctoral degree (PhD, MD, or equivalent) in molecular biology, cellular biology, virology, immunology, microbiology, or a similar area of focus
- An interest in B cell immunology, antibodies, immune reconstitution, and/or viruses
- Experience in flow cytometry, virology, and/or next-generation sequencing is preferred but not required
- Experience with protein expression, purification, and cloning is advantageous but not required
- Willingness to work with biohazardous/infectious agents (BSL-2), human specimens, and rodent colonies under carefully controlled conditions
- Excellent attention to detail and the ability to work independently
- Ability to learn new techniques and troubleshoot assays
- Good communication and organizational skills
- Flexibility and willingness to work some evenings and weekends as needed
Applications should include a CV, the names of three references, and a short cover letter describing their research interests.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center has a mandatory COVID-19 vaccine requirement, with exceptions only for approved medical or religious accommodations. As a condition of employment, newly hired employees must, prior to their first day of employment:
Provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 ; OR
Initiate the accommodations process to request a religious or medical accommodation (medical accommodations require a healthcare provider’s certification).
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and antiracism in your career or that will be made through your work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
The annual base salary range for this position is from $65,484.00 to $100,000.00 and pay offered will be based on experience and qualifications. This position may be eligible for relocation assistance.
Fred Hutchinson Cancer Center offers employees a comprehensive benefits package designed to enhance health, well-being, and financial security. Benefits include medical/vision, dental, flexible spending accounts, life, disability, retirement, family life support, employee assistance program, onsite health clinic, income-based child care subsidy, tuition reimbursement, paid vacation (22 days per year), paid sick leave (up to 30 calendar days per occurrence of a qualifying reason), paid holidays (13 days per year), and paid parental leave (up to 4 weeks).