The Bioengineering (BioE) Program in the Biological and Environmental Science and Engineering (BESE) Division at King Abdullah University of Science and Technology (KAUST) bridges the University’s strengths in Engineering, Chemistry and Biology. The BioE Program seeks faculty candidates (at the rank of Assistant Professor, although compelling candidates will be considered at higher ranks) with multi-disciplinary expertise and activities in the domain of:
Biology by Design (Biotech Metabolic Engineering) and Engineering Biology
Topics of focus include (but are not limited to):
- Microbial genome redesign and synthetic genomics (plant, yeast, mammal agnostic)
- Scalable expression systems and bioprocess engineering for alternative carbon source utilization, and process design for biosystem production
- Bioprocess engineering and pharmaceutical grade cell expression processes (Car-T cells): optimizing and scaling up biomanufacturing processes
- Metabolic engineering: redesigning metabolic pathways for specific product biosynthesis
- Biomolecular design: engineering proteins, enzymes, and other biomolecules with specific properties with AI or machine learning
- Cell-free expression systems: utilizing isolated cell components for metabolic reactions
- Synthetic gene circuits: programming genetic circuits for complex cellular behaviors
We seek candidates with a Ph.D. in relevant areas of biology and engineering and an outstanding research record with publications in the top-tier journals of their respective fields. The successful candidate is expected to establish research activities that contribute to the BioE Program’s research mission to integrate engineering tools and solutions for challenges and opportunities in biology. The candidate should have a strong commitment to excellence in teaching at the graduate level (Master's and PhD levels). The candidate will teach in the BioE curriculum and is expected to contribute to the current list of core courses and electives. The successful candidate is also expected to provide professional service at the Program, Division, and University levels.
While rooted in Bioengineering, the candidate is expected to engage with the other programs across divisions at KAUST, such as Electrical Engineering and Computer Science, and Materials Science and Engineering, to advance technologies for medicine and health. Candidates are expected to have a plan for attracting funding and consider how to integrate their research activities into the Kingdom’s economic growth strategy.
The Program welcomes applications from all qualified individuals. We strongly encourage applications from members of all underrepresented groups. The position will remain open until filled.
KAUST is an international, graduate research university dedicated to advancing science and technology through interdisciplinary research, education, and innovation. KAUST attracts top international faculty, scientists, engineers and students to conduct curiosity-driven and goal-oriented research to address the world’s most pressing scientific and technological challenges. Located in Saudi Arabia, on the eastern shores of the Red Sea, KAUST provides an award-winning campus to live, work, study and play, and offers superb research facilities, with guaranteed baseline research funding, infrastructure support, entrepreneurship opportunities and internationally competitive salaries. For more information about KAUST, please visit http://www.kaust.edu.sa. More information about the BESE Division and the BioE Program is available at http://bese.kaust.edu.sa and https://bioe.kaust.edu.sa.
To apply please click here. Interested candidates should upload the following materials:
- A cover letter introducing your candidacy and explicitly stating both the position and the rank. The rank must be consistent with the candidate’s experience Up-to-date
- Curriculum Vitae, including a full publication list
- Statement of research interests (5 pages maximum)
- Statement of teaching interests (2 pages maximum), including teaching philosophy and an outline of 1-2 graduate planned graduate teaching course(s)
- Names and contact information of 4 to 5 referees. Referees should have positions in academic or industrial research laboratories. In the case of Associate and Full Professor applications, the referees should be of a rank higher or equivalent to that of the proposed appointment
- Copies of most relevant publications (Maximum of five)