APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: 4th of March 2024
The Human Technopole Foundation is looking for a Senior Bioinformatic Technician for the National Facility for Genomics.
The National Facility for Genomics provides state-of-the-art and innovative services in genomics. Its core mission is to implement robust experimental and analytical workflows to probe all major domains of genomic exploration, including but not limited to the analysis of DNA, RNA, chromatin and other markers of epigenetic and regulatory activity. These techniques can be applied to diverse areas of biology, with resolution spanning to whole organisms, to tissues or individual cells. Overall, NF Genomics aims to empower research in all domains of genomics for the Italian scientific community at large.
The National Facility for Genomics foresees four Infrastructural Units (IU):
UI1 High Throughput Sequencing mainly focused on providing state-of-the-art high-throughput sequencing services. This dedicated unit specializes in delivering top-tier genomics, transcriptomics, and epigenomics analyses, employing the latest protocols for sample processing and sequencing.
UI2 Multi-Omics Technologies specialized in multi-omics technologies. Its focus extends to providing cutting-edge services in single-cell and spatial multi-omics analysis, as well as long-read sequencing. This Unit closely collaborates with the Tissue Processing Unit and NF-Imaging, specifically dedicated to implementing spatial transcriptomics protocols.
UI3 Technology Development stays at the forefront of innovation, this dedicated team is committed to methods and technology development. The highly qualified staff is continuously engaged in the evaluation of new technologies and instruments, considering them for acquisition into our facility. We specialize in the optimization and scale-up of custom experimental protocols, offering these services to the broader scientific community.
UI4 Computational Genomics is the computational core of the NF Genomics, the team is dedicated to developing, implementing, and maintaining automated pipelines for the pre-processing and primary data analysis of sequencing data. This unit closely collaborates with the NF for Data Handling and Analysis.
In the context above outlined, the Senior Bioinformatic Technician, reporting directly to the Head of the Genomics National Facility, will become part of the team of the Computational Genomics unit of the Genomics National Facility. The Computational Genomics Unit works hand-in-hand with the NF for Data Handling and Analysis facility, engaging in the development of novel bioinformatic pipelines, algorithms, and software. This seamless interaction ensures that our computational solutions are not only cutting-edge but also tailor-made to meet the evolving needs of genomics research. The Computational Genomics unit commitment to excellence extends across all infrastructural units within the genomics NF. By closely collaborating with each unit, the computational team strive to process sequencing data in a fast, reproducible, and standardized manner. Whether it's internal or external users, the main goal is to provide results that guarantee the highest levels of quality and reliability, merging precision and innovation as the main driving forces.
Key tasks and responsibilities
- Operate and maintain the bioinformatics analysis infrastructure to process whole-genome, whole-exome, transcriptome and epigenome sequencing data, including at single cell resolution;
- Contribute to implementing priorities and resource planning for the Computational Genomics branch of the Genomics Facility;
- Implement and run reproducible and robust computational genomics workflows and pipelines based on workflow languages (i.e. NetFlow) and software containers (i.e. OCI, dockers, singularity);
- Implement and run workflows to ensure quality control and visualization tools for fast data assessment;
- Integrate computational genomics workflows with HT sample tracking infrastructure;
- Contribute to collection and evaluation and quality control of genomic datasets;
- Work closely with the High-Throughput Sequencing and Multi-omic Technologies branches of the Genomics Facility to organize samples’ metadata and process newly generated data;
- Constantly optimize computational workflows and maximize cost-effectiveness;
- Closely follow technological developments that could benefit the facility;
- Participate actively in the overall development of the Genomics National Facility;
- Build effective links and collaborations within HT and with external users;
- Participate in the organization of bioinformatics training programs of the Genomics National Facility.
- Master's Degree or equivalent qualification in a relevant subject, e.g. computational sciences, physics, engineering or a related field of science;
- Proven experience in a team overseeing analysis of high-throughput sequencing data;
- Documented experience with setting up computational workflows for genomic data analysis, including robust standard operating procedures for quality assurance;
- Extensive experience with Nextfow or Snakemake for workflow management;
- Experience with exploratory data analysis and data visualization using R or python;
- Experience with reproducible research environment and version control systems;
- High-Performance Computing and Unix systems savvy;
- Fluency in English – HT is an international research institute.
- Experience in delivery of genomics projects, ideally medium to large-scale;
- Previous experience working with data generated by the sequencing technologies present in the National Facility for Genomics is preferred;
- Experience with long-read sequencing and single-cell analysis is highly advantageous.
Organizational and social skills:
- Excellent computational skills and trouble-shooting;
- Ability to interact effectively with other teams and work synergistically to drive projects forward;
- Meticulous organization;
- Proven communication and problem-solving skills;
- Please apply by sending:
i) a CV
ii) a motivation letter in English
iii) names and contacts of at least 2 referees
Questions concerning the role and any queries regarding the terms and conditions should be sent to email@example.com (terms and conditions) (these email address should not be used to send applications).
Why Human Technopole
- HT seeks scientific excellence, we recruit the best scientific talents through international, open calls;
- Our working environment is international, friendly and inclusive. Our scientists work together across disciplines on research topics of biomedical relevance, leveraging synergies between their diverse skillsets and methodological approaches;
- We believe that highly diverse teams yield the best and most innovative results;
- We engage in outward-facing scientific activities aimed at benefiting the national and international research community. Training is also at the heart of our activity, with initiatives and opportunities for our staff, including scientific courses, conferences and workshops.
- Welfare plans.
- Canteen service.
- Work-life balance provisions.
- Italian language training for foreigners.
- Maternity leave up to 1 year and other support for new parents.
- Flexible working hours.
- Remote working policy.
- Support for relocation.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who are part of the protected categories list, according to L. 68/99.
Number of positions offered: 1
Contract offered: CCNL Chimico Farmaceutico, Fixed-term -3 years - employee level.
The position is based in Milan