Area of research:
Executive postsJob description:
Head of Flow Cytometry Core facility (f/m/x)
Neuherberg near Munich
Home Office Options
We are Helmholtz Munich. In a rapidly changing world we discover breakthrough solutions for better health.
Our research is focused within the areas of metabolic health/diabetes, environmental health, molecular targets and therapies, cell programming and repair, bioengineering, and computational health. Through this research, we build the foundations for medical innovation. Together with our partners, we seek to accelerate the transfer of our research, so that laboratory ideas can reach society and improve people’s quality of life at the fastest rate possible.
Join us and use your talents and passion as we work together to drive forward scientific progress.
We have a fantastic opportunity for an experienced Flow Cytometry Expert to lead and shape a new state-of-the art Flow Cytometry Core Facility at Helmholtz Munich.
Core Facilities provide centralized, affordable access to state-of–the-art technologies and services. We are part of a multidisciplinary and international work environment and support our scientists in discovering personalized medical solutions for environmentally triggered diseases.
As Head of the Flow Cytometry Core you will establish and develop the facility and drive forward innovation. Your extensive background in flow cytometry, user training and data analysis is complemented by team spirit and a positive attitude to high quality service provision. In this role you will report to the Head of
and furthermore be supported by a dedicated steering committee. The team of this new core will be established in collaboration with the successful applicant and shall develop in line with demand and services. If you ever wanted to set up a modern new Flow Core, then here is a rare opportunity to build something amazing!
Prof. Matthias Tschöp (Dr. Med., Dr. hc.), CEO of Helmholtz Munich: "We believe that excellent research requires a range of different perspectives. Diverse teams reach better solutions and are more innovative in their research topics.
Establishing our Diversity Management Strategy demonstrates our commitment to ensuring an appreciative company culture based on mutual respect. We are also implementing diversity-sensitive processes throughout our whole organization."
- Oversee and ensure smooth operation of the facility (initially two cell sorters and two high end analyzers)
- Operate and maintain analysis/ sorting equipment
- Train users for independent equipment and software usage
- Develop and update training course material as needed
- Develop and implement new methods and cross platform workflows
- Consult users in experimental design and data interpretation
- Maintain a cutting edge research facility: Horizon scanning for new trends, software, technologies
- Liaise with industry, external customers, service personnel
- Perform/ support administrative tasks, such as: Staff management, budgeting, billing, purchasing, participation in regular internal management meetings, design and implement guidelines for optimal facility use, help maintain inter-and intranet pages, monitor safety compliance and maintain relevant SOPs and training.
- Represent the facility at external meetings and courses and interact with the national/ international flow cytometry community
- PhD or Master's degree in a relevant biomedical field (immunology, molecular biology, biochemistry, cell biology or similar)
- At least 3 years of advanced, hands-on flow cytometry experience, including cell sorting
- Strong technical background across a range of complex flow cytometric applications (e.g. high-parameter immunophenotyping, single cell and functional assays, spectral flow cytometry)
- Demonstrated ability in the interpretation and evaluation of cytometry data: experience with manual and automated data analysis strategies and common analysis software packages (such as FlowJo, FCS Express etc).
- Leadership skills: proven ability to manage a small team with at least 1-2 years prior supervisory experience; ability and willingness to create a working environment in which employees enjoy working and to actively promote the further development of employees as well as an open feedback culture
- Strong didactic skills: experience in providing training, ability to create new training content
- Highly self-motivated person with a clear service-mentality, collaborative attitude and excellent organizational and communication skills
- Excellent spoken and written English language skills
- Previous experience in managing a multi-user flow cytometry facility
- Trained and certified to work in an S2 laboratory environment or willingness to obtain the relevant training within the first 6-12 months on the job
- Good German language skills is a definite plus
Since 2005, we hold the TOTAL E-QUALITY award for exemplary action in the sense of an equal-opportunity organizational culture.
Helmholtz Munich is actively committed to diversity and inclusion in practice and is sustainably committed to equality.
The Diversity Charter has set itself the goal of promoting diversity in the world of work. By signing the charter, we commit ourselves to create an appreciative working environment for all employees.
If you fulfil all the requirements, you may be eligible for a salary grade of up to E 14. Social benefits are based on the Collective Wage Agreement for Public-Sector Employees (TVöD). The position has an (initial) fixed term of 2 years, with the possibility of moving to a permanent contract.
We are committed to promoting a culture of diversity and welcome applications from talented people regardless of gender, cultural background, nationality, ethnicity, sexual identity, physical abilities, religion or age. Qualified applicants with physical disabilities will be given preference.
If you have obtained a university degree abroad, we will require further documents from you regarding the comparability of your degree. Please request the Statement of Comparability for Foreign Higher Education Qualifications as early as possible.
Interested in applying?
If you have any questions, feel free to contact Dr. Susanne Heck, email@example.com, who will be happy to help.
Your application should include
Interviews will be held in the second half of January 2024.
We are Helmholtz Munich.Why join us?
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstraße 1
This research center is part of the Helmholtz Association of German Research Centers. With more than 42,000 employees and an annual budget of over € 5 billion, the Helmholtz Association is Germany's largest scientific organisation.