Formally established in June 2022, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou)(HKUST(GZ)) is a cooperatively-run higher education institution between the Chinese mainland and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. HKUST(GZ) has obtained approval from the Ministry of Education (MoE) and become the first legally-independent educational institution co-established by the Mainland and Hong Kong since the announcement and implementation of the “Outline Development Plan for the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area” and the “Overall Plan for Deepening Globally Oriented Comprehensive Co-operation amongst Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao in Nansha of Guangzhou”. With a spirit of pioneering innovation, HKUST(GZ) charts new territories in cross-disciplinary education and explores new frontiers in pedagogies, aiming to serve as a role model of the mainland-Hong Kong integrated educational development and become a world-famous high-level university, endeavoring to nurture future-oriented, high-level and innovative talents.
HKUST(GZ) comprises four Hubs, namely Function Hub, Information Hub, Systems Hub, Society Hub and offers 15 postgraduate degrees. The admission of undergraduate students will begin in 2023, with the first batch of programs covering artificial intelligence, data science and big data technology.
The College of Education Sciences (CES) functions as an academic unit under HKUST (GZ) and is responsible for planning, designing, organizing, and offering compulsory general courses, compulsory STEM fundamental courses, and language education courses for freshmen and sophomores. The Pillar of STEM Education, CES is specifically responsible for planning, designing, organizing, and offering compulsory STEM fundamental courses, including Calculus, Chemistry, Physics, Biology and Computer Science.
CES is inviting applications or nominations for the position of the Head of the Pillar of STEM Education. We welcome exceptional candidates, who are enthusiastic about the exploration and implementation of educational innovation, have experience in managing teaching and learning affairs, and also have demonstrable expertise and teaching experiences in Science, Technology and Engineering.
Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Take the leadership of planning, designing, organizing and offering the STEM Fundamental courses for freshmen and sophomores;
- Contribute to the University’s undergraduate education reform and the establishment of innovative talent cultivation model across the University;
- Promote collaboration with HKUST (Clear Water Bay) in undergraduate education, such as faculty/student exchange, course sharing, and credit recognition;
- Contribute to the establishment of the University’s education policy including teaching and learning assessment, teaching and learning quality assurance, etc.;
- Contribute to the promotion of innovative teaching methods including blended learning, flip classroom, etc.
- A master’s or PhD degree in Science, Technology, Engineering, or Mathematics;
- At least 5 years’ teaching experience in STEM courses (experiences in interdisciplinary teaching are preferable);
- At least 5 years’ experience in managing teaching and learning affairs;
- Veteran in innovative pedagogies and teaching methods such as flipped classroom, blended learning, experiential learning;
- Able to inspire and cultivate the interdisciplinary mindset, critical thinking and innovation ability of students by providing them with diversified learning experiences;
- A high level of proficiency in spoken and written English;
- Be passionate in teaching and learning with outstanding communication skills and teamwork spirit.
English is the medium of instruction and administration at HKUST (GZ). HKUST(GZ) is committed to diversity in recruitment and equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage suitable candidates of diverse backgrounds to submit their applications.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
Salary is highly competitive of international standard and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Appointment to non-substantiation track educational faculty will be made on a fixed-term contract of up to 6 years with a mid-term review after 3 years of service. This is a Mainland appointment, and the appointee will be offered a contract by HKUST Mainland entity in accordance with the Mainland labor laws and regulations.
In support of a green work environment, we accept applications submitted online only. To apply, please register and log in via the University recruitment website. Applicants should include a Resume in their applications, and could check their application status via the recruitment website. We thank applicants for their interest but advise only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the result of the application. In exceptional circumstances, for example unsuccessful application, please contact Human Resources Department at firstname.lastname@example.org or 020-88331237. (Information provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes only.) For more information on HKUST(GZ), you may visit the University website.
HKUST (GZ) is an equal opportunities employer and is committed to our core values of inclusiveness, diversity, and respect.