registration number: ZE-0132-synmikro-wmz-2023
Entry date: Application deadline: Salary: Duration: Volume of employment:
E 13 TV-H 2023-12-31 2024-02-01 4 years full-time
The University of Marburg, founded in 1527, offers a variety of excellent programs of study for around 22,000 students and confronts the important topics of our time through excellent research across a broad spectrum of sciences.
At the Centre for Synthetic Microbiology (SYNMIKRO), within the Research Training Group "Nucleotide Metabolism in Microbes" (RTG 2937, spokesperson: Professor Dr Peter Graumann), a full-time position, available from February 1st, 2024 until January 31, 2028 with the option of extension following successful evaluation, as a
Research assistant (postdoctoral researcher)
is to be filled. The position will be graded according to salary group E13 of the collective labour agreement of the State of Hesse.
The Research Training Group „Nucleotide Metabolism in Microbes“, funded by the German Research Foundation (DFG), analyses the chemical building blocks (nucleotides) that make up nucleic acids (DNA and RNA) in various microbial species in order to uncover both their valid principles of nucleotide metabolism and species-specific adaptations in nucleotide-related metabolic pathways.
The position is located in the particular project „subcellular dynamics of mRNA and enzymes involved in nucleotide synthesis and degradation“ under the direction of Prof. Dr. Peter Graumann. The focus is on investigating the three-dimensional organisation of bacterial cells and the regulation of RNA degradation.
- development of your own research project with a high degree of independence
- investigation of the function of nucleotide-binding proteins in Bacillus subtilis
- investigation of single-molecule dynamics of mRNA and RNases using single-molecule tracking fluorescence microscopy in different bacterial species
- assistance in cell biology issues in other particular projects of the Research Training Group
- international communication in research through publications and participation in conferences
- opportunity to participate in student courses and seminars for students (teaching)
This is a temporary qualification position with the aim of being appointed to a professorship (habilitation or habilitation equivalent). Within the scope of the tasks assigned, the candidate will be given the opportunity to carry out independent academic work that serves their own academic qualification. The time limit is based on § 2 para. 1 sentence 2 WissZeitVG.
- completed scientific university degree (Diploma, Master's or comparable) in the field of biology, biochemistry, chemistry with a focus on biochemistry, biotechnology or pharmacy, as well as a doctorate in one of the above-mentioned scientific fields no more than 4 years ago
- experience in working with microorganisms
- ability to carry out molecular biology (cloning) and biochemical experiments (protein purification)
- experience with cell biology techniques (e.g. fluorescence microscopy or electron microscopy)
- independent, scientific thinking, demonstrated by first-author publications in internationally recognised journals
- communication skills, demonstrated by presentations at international scientific conferences
A willingness to gain your own scientific qualifications (e.g. through a project in the field of biochemistry/microbiology with a focus on cell biology) is expected.
Contact for more Information
Prof. Dr. Peter Graumann
+49 6421-28 22210
We support women and strongly encourage them to apply. In areas where women are underrepresented, female applicants will be preferred in case of equal qualifications. As a certified family-friendly university, we support our employees in balancing family and career. A reduction of working time is possible. Applicants with a disability as discribed in SGB IX (§ 2 Abs. 2, 3) will be preferred in case of equal qualifications. Application and interview costs can not be refunded.
Please apply by 31.12.2023 using the registration number: ZE-0132-synmikro-wmz-2023