The Nantz National Alzheimer Center, Neuroimaging Lab invites applicants for a full-time Postdoctoral position to participate in groundbreaking research to prevent or cure Alzheimer’s disease and other related neurodegenerative disorders, as part of a clinical research program of the Houston Methodist Research Institute, Weill Cornell Medical College (Houston, Texas). Our Translational Imaging Center houses research-dedicated multimodality scanners designed for human studies as well as for imaging of large research animals. The Positron Emission Tomography Facility hosts a PET/CT scanner (Siemens Biograph Vision) that utilizes time-of-flight technology that results in improved image quality and higher sensitivity. The Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Facility hosts the first FDA-approved 7T human MRI scanner in Texas (Siemens Terra), a 3T human MRI scanner (Siemens Vida) and a 9.4 T Bruker small animal MRI scanner.
The Houston Methodist Research Institute seeks a qualified candidate to fill the position of neuroimaging research associate at the Nantz National Alzheimer Center, Department of Neurology. The ideal candidate will have a background in signal processing and excellent computational skills. Experience using and developing algorithms for the analysis of structural and functional magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) as well as positron emission tomography (PET), and having applied those algorithms to MRI/PET data will be a plus.
Applicants must hold a PhD degree in computer engineering, computer science, biomedical engineering, applied physics, or equivalent, preferably, but not necessarily, with experience in brain-image analysis.
The successful candidate is expected to work on innovative neuroimaging research particularly as it is applied to human brain disease. Supervisors will include neuroscientists and mathematicians. Importantly, the successful candidate will carry out all the technical steps involved in the processing of brain MRI and PET images and ensure their quality. Critical steps are to evaluate the quality of MRI data, use standard software (MATLAB, FreeSurfer, FSL, SPM, Slicer, etc.) to analyze structural and functional MRI, and develop algorithms to optimize the use of those tools, as well as analyzing and databasing all MRI data. The successful candidate will use similar tools to process and store data from positron emission tomography (PET).
PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
Job responsibilities labeled EF capture those duties that are essential functions of the job.
PEOPLE - 20%
- Assists the physician in maintaining the functionality and operations of the Principal Investigator’s (PI) laboratory. (EF)
- Promotes a positive work environment and leads the team to be dynamic and a focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the department by actively communicating and reporting data in a comprehensive manner. (EF)
- Role models to team members effective verbal, non-verbal and written communication, which includes active listening and teaching, assisting in development of such skills. (EF)
- Provides contributions towards improvement of department scores for employee engagement, i.e. peer-to-peer accountability. (EF)
SERVICE - 20%
- Develops research methods and performs research activities. (EF)
- Documents research results and writes reports of results for presentation and/or publication in professional journals and other publications. (EF)
QUALITY/SAFETY - 20%
- Follows all safety rules while on the job. Reports accidents promptly and corrects minor safety hazards. Communicates with peers and management regarding any hazards identified in the workplace. (EF)
- Assists with implementation and education of department-based safety initiatives, standards of practice and protocols. Develops skills of team members and continually assists with improving skills, performance and outcomes. (EF)
- Identifies opportunities for corrective action and process improvement providing recommendations and contributes to meeting department and laboratory targets for quality and safety. (EF)
FINANCE - 20%
- Utilizes resources effectively and efficiently, demonstrating responsible financial stewardship. Manages own time effectively and prioritizes work to achieve maximum results in a timely manner. (EF)
- Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks. (EF)
GROWTH/INNOVATION - 20%
- Participates in pertinent research activities and evidenced-based practice projects. Participates in departmental projects and activities. Acts as a change agent. (EF)
- Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development. Remains current on professional issues and clinical skills. Completes and updates the My Development Plan on an on-going basis. Ensures own career discussions occur with appropriate management. (EF)
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
o Postdoctoral Fellow 0, 1, 2, 3, 4 – Doctor of Medicine (MD) from an accredited medical school or Doctoral Degree (PhD) in medical field (A letter from the academic institution certifying that all student work is complete will be considered for Postdoctoral Fellow 0 only.)
o Postdoctoral Fellow 0– None
o Postdoctoral Fellow 1– One year of Postdoc experience
o Postdoctoral Fellow 2 – Two years’ Postdoc experience
o Postdoctoral Fellow 3 – Three years’ Postdoc experience
o Postdoctoral Fellow 4 – Four years’ Postdoc experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
o Demonstrates the skills and competencies necessary to safely perform the assigned job, determined through on-going skills, competency assessments, and performance evaluations
o Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security
o Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles
o Demonstrated knowledge of biomedical research
o Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced environment
o Demonstrates flexibility and adaptability in the workplace
Work Attire Yes/No
Business professional No
Other (dept approved) Yes
*Note that employees may be required to be on-call during emergencies (ie. Disaster, Severe Weather Event, etc) regardless of selection above.
May require travel within No
Houston Metropolitan area
May require travel outside No
of Houston Metropolitan area
**Travel specifications may vary by department.
Please note any other special considerations to this job: Work will be in a research laboratory environment.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law. VEVRAA Federal Contractor – priority referral Protected Veterans requested.