APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: January 15th, 2024
Human Technopole (HT) is an interdisciplinary life science research institute, created and supported by the Italian Government, with the aim of developing innovative strategies to improve human health. HT is composed of five Centers: Neurogenomics, Computational Biology, Structural Biology, Genomics, and Health Data Science. The Centers work together to enable interdisciplinary research and to create an open, collaborative environment that will help promote life science research both nationally and internationally.
The Human Technopole Foundation is looking for two Postdoctoral fellows to work in the Structural Biology Research Centre in the laboratory of Prof. Alessandro Vannini.
The Vannini Group combines cryo-electron microscopy (both SPA and cryo-ET), mass spectrometry, single molecule analisys and various biophysical techniques to elucidate the role of multi-subunit macromolecular machineries involved in genome function and organization. In particular, we are interested in understanding at the molecular level how the SMC complexes (Condenisn I and II) and general transcription factors (TFIIIC), together with specific auxiliary factors and chromatin remodellers, control the architecture of the human genome throughout the cell cycle.
The HT Centre of Structural Biology has top-notch managed facilities for Cryo-EM (Titan Krios, 1 Glacios, 1 Aquilos2, 1 Spectra, 1 Talos 120), cryo-CLEM, Light imaging, XL- and native mass -pectrometry and support units for Biophysics (mass photometry, SEC-MALLS, ITC, x-ray crystallography etc), Biomass production (E,coli, yeast, insect cells, suspension mammalian cells with fermenters up to 150 litres) and a dedicated managed platform for single molecule experiments on optical tweezers (Lumicks C-trap and M-trap).
We are looking for highly motivated and creative individuals with a strong interest in structural and functional characterization of large multi-subunit complexes, using integrative approaches. Previous expertise in structural biology or, in alternative, RNA biochemistry is essential. We encourage international candidates to apply and will support applications to external Postdoctoral fellowship schemes (EMBO, Marie Curie, HPSF, etc.), for which we have an outstanding record of success
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Investigating the role of transcription factors, architectural complexes and chromatin remodellers into high order chromatin structure and function, integrating structural biology data (cryo-EM, CLEM, XL-MS) with light imaging and functional in vivo data.
- Present scientific work at seminars within the Human Technopole and at international meetings.
- Generate reliable data for publication and record all data and results in specified forms (paper and electronic).
- Contribute to the writing of project related scientific papers.
- Assist in the training of PhD students and contribute to the smooth running of the lab.
On the closing date for online applications, the candidate must fulfil all the following conditions:
- A PhD in fields related to Biology, Biophysics, Physics, or similar.
- Previous experience in biochemistry and/or Structural Biology.
- Fluency in English.
- Experience in cryo-EM is a plus.
- Experience in genome editing is a plus.
- Ability to write research and review articles and prepare and present data and results to a scientific audience.
Required personal skills:
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and to work independently.
- Ability to build trust through operating with transparency and creating an open and positive environment.
To apply, please send the following:
- a CV.
- a motivation letter (max 2 pages) in English relating your track record to the specifics of the call.
- names and contacts of 2 referees.
Why Human Technopole:
HT seeks scientific excellence, we recruit the best scientific talents through international, open calls.
Our working environment is international, friendly and inclusive. Our scientists work together across disciplines on research topics of biomedical relevance, leveraging synergies between their diverse skillsets and methodological approaches.
We believe that highly diverse teams yield the best and most innovative results.
We engage in outward-facing scientific activities aimed at benefiting the national and international research community. Training is also at the heart of our activity, with initiatives and opportunities for our staff, including scientific courses, conferences and workshops.
- Welfare plans.
- Canteen service.
- Work-life balance provisions.
- Italian language training for foreigners.
- Parental leave up to 1 year and other support for new parents.
- Flexible working hours.
- Remote working policy.
- Support for relocation.
- Researchers coming to Italy for the first time, or returning after residing abroad, benefit from very attractive income tax benefits.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who are part of the protected categories list, according to L. 68/99.
Number of positions offered: 2
Contract offered: CCNL Chimico Farmaceutico, Fixed-term 4 years - employee level.
The position is based in Milan.