VIB (Vlaams Instituut voor Biotechnologie) is an entrepreneurial non-profit research institute, with a clear focus on ground-breaking strategic basic research in life sciences and operates in close partnership with the five universities in Flanders.
The VIB Data Core is a new initiative that will offer hardware, software, and data-related services for non-sensitive and sensitive data to scientists of the Research Centers. More specifically, the Core strives to increase the quality, standardisation, reproducibility, and efficiency across the data life cycle - from project planning and data acquisition to knowledge generation, and publication and archiving of the research data according to FAIR principles.
The VIB Data Core works closely together with experts from the ELIXIR consortium, a European research infrastructure that unites Europe’s leading life-science organisations. The core team of the Belgian ELIXIR Node
, which is embedded in the Core, has been active in providing platforms and guidance for research data management and reproducible data analysis.
We are looking for a Data Steward to further develop a data management platform, enabling FAIR data sharing for biotechnology research.
The Data Steward will contribute to the implementation of data management best practices to enable researchers to publish high-quality FAIR data to public repositories. You will integrate community standards, as recommended by ELIXIR, into our research (meta)data management platform (DataHub, https://datahub.elixir-belgium.org
). You will report to the Team lead Data Management.
More specifically, the Data Steward will focus on the implementation of metadata standards covering the whole data life cycle for omics data types used in industrial biotechnology. This will be developed in collaboration with the multidisciplinary Data Management Team, including data stewards and developers, as well as colleagues in the ELIXIR Research Data Management Community.
As a Data Steward, you will:
- Work with researchers to implement data management best practices to support efficient data processing and publishing
- Collect requirements from researchers to further enhance the capabilities of the metadata management platform
- Collaborate closely with the senior data stewards to streamline processes for data publication in public repositories
- Support and train researchers in registering metadata
- Master's degree in life sciences or equivalent through experience
- Knowledge of open data, data management, and its terminologies (e.g. data standards, ontologies, data repositories)
- Experience with various omics life-sciences data sets, such as metabolomics and genomics
- Excellent communication skills, both orally and in writing in English
- Able to work both independently as well as in an international team
- Experience in working on collaborative projects is an asset
- An open-ended contract
- Competitive package based on experience and expertise, and benefits
- An innovative, challenging, and international working environment in the large life-sciences network of VIB and the ELIXIR infrastructure across Europe
- Contribute to the building of a future-proof, researcher-oriented platform for data management open to all researchers
- Opportunities for personal development
- Workplace is located at the Tech Lane Ghent Science Park, a vibrant ecosystem of international corporate R&D centers. Possibility of homeworking, with a balance between working from a remote location and from the office
How to apply?
If you are interested in this challenging and rewarding opportunity, please submit your application online, including CV and letter of motivation, through Jobsoid.