Ref. Nr. 8367
The interdisciplinary BMBF-funded Junior Scientist Research Centre ‘ReproTrack.MS’ is seeking to fill the full-time position for a period of 3 years.
Salary according to German TV-L E13
The translational project will be carried out in collaboration of the groups of Timo Strünker (Centre for Reproductive Medicine and Andrology, CeRA) and Christos Gatsogiannis (Institute of Medical Physics and Biophysics).
Our overall aim is to improve the understanding of the molecular architecture of the human sperm flagellum using cryo-electron tomography and advanced image processing workflows. We aim to solve the structures of key flagellar macromolecular complexes to understand the molecular mechanisms controlling sperm function both in health and disease. ReproTrack.MS offers not only an ideal environment for collaborative research, but also excellent career development opportunities.
The line of research will be carried out using the new state-of-the-art cryoEM infrastructure recently established at the Centre for Soft Nanoscience, including
- a Titan KRIOS G4 microscope with Falcon 4i detector and SelectrisX energy filter
- an Aquilos II cryoFIBSEM with iFLM and lift-out
- a Talos 120C screening cryoEM
- and access to state of the art GPU clusters and cloud storage
- Optimise cryoEM preparation of human sperm samples
- Establish a workflow for cryo-correlative light and electron microscopy (cryoCLEM) of human sperm
- Preparation of thin cryo lamellae for cryoET (cryoFIB milling)
- CryoET/image processing/sub-tomogram averaging
- Molecular modelling
- Applicants must have a PhD in Biology, Chemistry, Physics or a similar scientific field.
- Experience in cryoEM/structural biology. Experience in structure elucidation by cryo-electron tomography and in the use of the corresponding software packages would be an advantage.
- Good IT skills; experience with Python is an advantage.
- A good command of written and spoken English
- Furthermore, soft skills such as the ability to work in a team, communication skills, organisational skills and independent working methods are required
If you have any questions in advance, please contact Prof. Dr. Christos Gatsogiannis, T 0251 83-34411 and/or Prof. Dr. Timo Strünker, T 0251 83-58238.
Are you interested? Then we look forward to receiving your application by 13. December 2023 via our online application form.
The University Hospital of Münster is one of the leading hospitals in Germany. Such a position cannot be achieved by size and medical successes alone. The individual commitment counts above all. We need your commitment so that even with little things we can achieve great things for our patients. There are many possibilities open for you so that you may develop with them.
Applications of women are specifically invited. In the case of similar qualifications, competence, and specific achievements, women will be considered on preferential terms within the framework of the legal possibilities. Handicapped candidates with equivalent qualifications will be given preference. Due to legal requirements working with us is only permitted with complete vaccination against measles.