Post Doctoral Researcher in Data Science and Environmental Sustainability
Mohammed VI Polytechnic University - Rabat - Morocco
Mohammed VI Polytechnic University (UM6P) is an internationally oriented institution of higher learning, that is committed to an educational system based on the highest standards of teaching and research in fields related to the sustainable economic development of Morocco and Africa. UM6P is an institution oriented towards applied research and innovation. On a specific focus on Africa, UM6P aims to position these fields as the forefront and become a university of international standing.
More than just a traditional academic institution, UM6P is a platform for experimentation and a pool of opportunities, for students, professors and staff. It offers a high-quality living and study environment thanks to its state-of-the-art infrastructure. With an innovative approach, UM6P places research and innovation at the heart of its educational project as a driving force of a business model.
In its research approach, the UM6P promotes transdisciplinary, entrepreneurship spirit and collaboration with external institutions for developing up to date science and at continent level in order to address real challenges.
All our programs run as start-ups and can be self-organized when they reach a critical mass. Thus, academic liberty is promoted as far as funding is developed by research teams.
The research programs are integrated from long-term research to short-term applications in linkage with incubation and start-up ecosystems.
About the recruiting Entity :
The School of Collective Intelligence (SCI) at Mohammed IV Polytechnic University (UM6P, Morocco) is currently seeking a highly motivated and talented Postdoctoral Research Fellow to join our dynamic team.
At SCI, our primary focus is on exploring how groups effectively solve problems and collaborate. As a research institution, we are dedicated to advancing knowledge in these areas to make a meaningful impact. In collaboration with esteemed partners such as ENS Paris and MIT, we strive to push the boundaries of collective intelligence research.
Job Description :
The postdoc will work under the supervision of Dr. J.S. Martin (and Dr. J. Winters) on a project focused on sustainability, environmental economics and computational science. In particular, using a combination of quantitative methods (modeling, data science, etc...) we will explore how the relationships between rebound effects, efficiency gains and complexity, affects the sustainability of resource consumption and other environmental impacts (i.e. greenhouse gas emissions, biodiversity extinction, etc...).
As a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at SCI, you will be involved in cutting-edge research projects and contribute to the development of collective intelligence theories and methodologies.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Conducting independent research in under the supervision of Dr. JSMartin and JWinters, and with their collaborators.
- Designing and implementing data collection protocols.
- Analyzing and interpreting research findings using advanced statistical and computational methods.
- Collaborating with interdisciplinary teams to contribute to the development of innovative solutions.
- Publishing research outcomes in high-impact journals and presenting findings at conferences and seminars.
- Mentoring and supervising junior researchers and assisting with research project management.
Criteria of the candidate:
- Hold a Ph.D. degree in a relevant field, such as computer science, data science, economics, ecology, or a related discipline.
- Demonstrate a strong research background in computational modeling and/or data science.
- Experience and demonstrable interest in the field of environmental sustainability.
- Advanced knowledge of Python, R and/or other programming languages such as Matlab or C++.
- Proven experience in collecting and analyzing large amounts of data.
- Proven experience in working with large databases.
- Possess advanced knowledge of research methodologies, experimental design, and data analysis techniques.
- Have a proven track record of publications in peer-reviewed journals and conference proceedings.
- Exhibit excellent communication and interpersonal skills, with the ability to work effectively in interdisciplinary teams.
- A cover letter expressing your interest in the postdoctoral position and highlighting your relevant experience and research interests.
- A detailed curriculum vitae (CV) including a list of publications.
- Copies of your three most significant publications.
- Two to three academic references.
Location: Technopolis Campus in Rabat, Morocco
Benefits: This is a full-time position with a competitive salary and benefits including medical insurance, retirement plans, and paid vacation.