The German Cancer Research Center is seeking the
Head of the Center for Preclinical Research (Ref-No. 2023-0371)
The German Cancer Research Center (DKFZ) is the largest biomedical research institution in Germany. With more than 3,000 employees, we operate an extensive scientific program in the field of cancer research.
We are seeking an experienced leader to head the entire Center for Preclinical Research (ZPF) from 01.05.2024, which is the central support service providing institutional animal care and specialized research services to more than 100 research groups at DKFZ. This position combines two levels of responsibility. First, the position directs a husbandry team that includes five clinical veterinarians, one biological staff scientist, four administrative assistants, two senior technicians and over 50 animal caretakers. Second, the post holder sets strategic direction for three closely aligned, independently operating service units providing microbiological diagnostics, production of genetically modified mice, and design and execution of bespoke preclinical and translational experimental tumor models. This senior leadership position offers a unique opportunity to further develop a world-leading preclinical research support program.
- Provide strategic direction for a flagship core facility by combining best husbandry practices and institutional research priorities
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with a cross-section of faculty
- Maximize the scientific impact of the service units Microbiological Diagnostics, Transgenic Service, and Tumor Models
- Further development of animal experimental research
- Undertake animal husbandry in accordance with § 11 TierSchG (German Animal Protection Act)
- Closely cooperate with animal welfare officers and participate in the DKFZ Animal Welfare Committee to continuously implement the 3Rs principle
- Maintain and extend animal husbandry databases
- Represent DKFZ to the relevant legal authorities
- Lead the DKFZ’s ongoing efforts to finalize full AAALAC accreditation
- Long-term experience in management of laboratory animal facilities
- Doctoral degree in veterinary sciences with professional specialization in laboratory animal science or Dipl. ECLAM
- Theoretical and practical knowledge in management of laboratory rodents
- Thorough understanding of animal protection law and animal experimentation procedures
- Business management skills
- High social and leadership skills, strong communication skills
- Independent and self-organized
- Very good knowledge of German and English languages, both written and spoken
Applicants should include a CV, a list of publications, an overview of external funding obtained, and a 2-3 page synopsis of their scientific career with special emphasis on the experience in the field of laboratory animal science.
- Excellent framework conditions: state-of-the-art equipment and opportunities for international networking at the highest level
- 30 days of vacation per year
- Flexible working hours
- Possibility of mobile work and part-time work
- Family-friendly working environment, e.g. parent-child room, advisory services caring for elderly relatives
- Sustainable travel to work: subsidized Germany job ticket
- Unleash your full potential: targeted offers for your personal development to further develop your talents
- Our Corporate Health Management Program offers a holistic approach to your well-being
The position is permanent.
The DKFZ is subject to the regulations of the Infection Protection Act (IfSG). As a consequence, only persons who present proof of immunity against measles may work at the DKFZ.
For further information please contact
Prof. Dr. Peter Angel, phone +49 (0)6221/42-4570.
The DKFZ is committed to increase the proportion of women in all areas and positions in which women are underrepresented. Qualified female applicants are therefore particularly encouraged to apply.
Among candidates of equal aptitude and qualifications, a person with disabilities will be given preference.
To apply for a position please use our online application portal (www.dkfz.de).
We ask for your understanding that we cannot return application documents that are sent to us by post (Deutsches Krebsforschungszentrum, Personalabteilung, Im Neuenheimer Feld 280, 69120 Heidelberg) and that we do not accept applications submitted via email. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.