We are seeking a Lab Director to oversee our molecular laboratory for the biobank. Will oversee the day-to-day operations of the biobank, including receiving and processing of blood and tissue specimens. Our state-of-the-art facility leverages the latest in automated systems to refine and expedite the processes of DNA extraction, quantification, and automated cold storage. The ideal candidate will possess a blend of technical proficiency, management capability, and a commitment to ensuring the highest standards of sample care, safety, and regulatory compliance.
- Direct and manage the day-to-day laboratory operations, ensuring efficiency, precision, and prompt sample processing.
- Supervise the receipt, validation, and registration of blood specimens sourced from the pathology laboratory.
- Interface with vendors to streamline the procurement of essential laboratory supplies and equipment.
- Collaborate with the Principal Investigator (PI) to instigate process enhancements and pioneer novel methods for specimen workflows.
Protocol & SOP Maintenance
- Establish, refine, and uphold molecular biology protocols alongside comprehensive standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Oversee the continuous training and development of laboratory staff.
- Ensure optimal inventory levels of laboratory supplies and equipment maintenance.
Nucleic Acid Extraction
- Execute DNA and RNA extraction from cells and tissues, leveraging both manual and automated workflows.
- Update and monitor sample details using the LIMS software system.
- Prepare Illumina-compatible sequencing libraries from RNA and DNA samples.
- Bachelor's degree in a Basic Science or a related field.
- Five years of relevant experience.
Department Specific Criteria
- PhD or MS degree with 4+ years of professional experience in molecular biology (preferred), biology, biotechnology, or biochemistry
- Profound expertise in molecular biology techniques, spanning DNA/RNA extraction & purification, NGS library preparation & QC, PCR, qPCR, cloning, and beyond.
- Comprehensive understanding of NGS technologies (e.g., DNA-seq, RNA-Seq), backed by a history of practical application, coupled with an aptitude for troubleshooting the sequencing process to enhance NGS library quality.
- Familiarity with nucleic acid quality control assays.
- Experience in high-throughput genomic profiling technologies, particularly with NGS platforms and library preparation workflows.
- LIMS, sample tracking, and workflow optimization expertise.
- Prior experience with automated processes, especially liquid handlers.
- Acquaintance with Illumina sequencing data and the capability to decipher secondary data analysis metrics.
- Exceptional troubleshooting and problem-solving prowess.
- Meticulous attention to detail and a task-focused mindset.
- Stellar written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-driven with the ability to spearhead multiple projects in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Proven collaborative experience within a centralized molecular technology team.
- Adaptability and flexibility in a rapidly evolving and demanding setting.
Baylor College of Medicine requires employees to be fully vaccinated -subject to approved exemptions-against vaccine-preventable diseases including, but not limited to, COVID-19 and influenza.
Baylor College of Medicine is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/Equal Access Employer.