APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: December 22nd, 2023.
HT is a new interdisciplinary research institute, created and supported by the Italian government, whose aim is to develop innovative strategies to promote human health and aging through a multidisciplinary and integrated approach, combining genomics, computational and structural biology, neuroscience, as well as population and health data science.
We are seeking to recruit an outstanding scientist to establish an independent group at the Human Technopole Foundation (HT) Health Data Science Centre.
The Health Data Science Centre at HT has been planned in partnership with Politecnico di Milano and is developing several lines of research, with the aim to help deliver a step-change in health data science in Italy. The Centre’s mission is to systematically generate, mobilise, and harvest “big data” allowing agnostic and dynamic collection of information, to deliver a new class of research that will enable a better understanding of the clinical, molecular, behavioural and environmental determinants of non-communicable diseases, for both patient and public benefit.
Currently, there are two strategic research priorities across the Health Data Science Centre:
- Health data science: entailing the development and application of cutting-edge health analytics methods that will allow the integration and study of complex data arising from electronic health records as well as omics sources. Our aim is to develop and apply novel methodologies to optimise knowledge generation from large-scale databases featuring complex and multi-dimensional data and to ensure robust inference and reliable predictions for supporting clinical and policy decisions.
- Translational epidemiology: requiring the integration of molecular epidemiology with clinical and life sciences to help understand the aetiology of diseases and improve early detection. Our aim is to translate epidemiological discoveries into actionable insights by identifying molecular mechanisms amenable to modification as well as to improve prevention and prediction of non-communicable diseases.
The Health Data Science Centre wishes to appoint an outstanding health data scientist to provide research and training leadership in this strategically important area. The candidate will have both quantitative expertise and a commitment to and track record of addressing applied questions relevant to population health and common chronic diseases.
The post-holder will establish and lead a new independent group in the Centre, conducting high quality research relevant to applied aspects of health data science. The post-holder will be expected to create strong collaborations with existing research groups in the Centre and beyond. In particular, the post-holder will be expected to engage with other Centres within HT (such as the Population & Medical Genomics and the Computational Biology Centres), with the Politecnico di Milano, and externally.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
The post-holder will be expected to develop independent programmes of research, as well as to collaborate in exciting existing initiatives and studies. Key responsibilities will include:
- Establish and lead a new independent group in the Health Data Science Centre, conducting high quality research relevant to applied aspects of health data science;
- Create strong collaborations with research groups in the Centre, within HT, and externally, some of which may contribute to creating infrastructures that will serve the broader community;
- Develop and supervise the establishment of a world-class research programme in health data science;
- Foster a diverse and nurturing research environment through leading and mentoring a team;
- Develop and foster links between HT and other national and international research organizations;
- Raise third-party funding;
- Contribute to the preparation of Centre reports to be reviewed by an external expert board;
- Actively participate in initiatives that pursue improvement of all aspects of HT;
- Actively participate in the co-organization and implementation of activities that will promote the image of HT in the international community, such as symposia and workshops;
- Contribute to the establishment of a collaborative and open scientific environment by actively participating in meetings and seminar series internal to HT. This will foster synergies between the groups and propagation of knowledge;
- Participate and help to design HT Core infrastructures and facilities.
The candidates will be early and mid-career leading scientists with quantitative expertise and track record of addressing research questions relevant to health data science and population health. Because the chosen candidate will provide intellectual leaderships as one of the Health Data Science Centre leaders, their academic background and research perspectives must demonstrate coherence with the Centre’s mission.
- PhD (or equivalent) in a quantitative domain, such as (but not limited to) statistics, biostatistics, bioinformatics, computer science, data science, applied mathematics, advanced analytical techniques;
- Strong quantitative expertise (e.g., with backgrounds in biostatistics, statistics, bioinformatics, computer science, data science, mathematics, physics, health informatics);
- Commitment to, and track-record of, addressing applied research questions;
- Outstanding proven record of scientific research output in the field of health data science;
- Scientific vision;
- Fluent English.
Organizational and social skills:
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to lead and gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavor;
- Proven leadership, communication, team building and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to interact effectively with other teams and work synergistically to effectively drive projects;
- Highly organized and meticulous work attitude;
- Attitude towards service;
- Ability to build trust through operating with transparency and creating an open and positive environment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who are part of the protected categories list, according to L. 68/99.
Please apply by sending:
- a CV;
- a motivation letter in English, specifying where the candidate’s skills meet the requirements listed above;
- A project description that should be maximum 8 pages long and include a short description of both current and future research in the context of HT
- Names and contacts of at least 3 referees.
Any questions concerning the role and/or queries regarding the relevant terms and conditions should be addressed to email@example.com (this email address should not be used to send applications).
HT offers a highly collaborative, international, and diverse work environment. The working language is English. HT will foster top quality, interdisciplinary research by promoting a vibrant environment consisting of independent research groups that attracts outstanding graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. HT scientists have full access to cutting-edge Core Facilities.
HT is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer that seeks to promote a collegial and family- friendly atmosphere and offers attractive conditions and benefits. The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation if eligible. Researchers coming to Italy for the first time, or returning after residing abroad, may benefit from income tax benefits if eligible.
Contract offered: Fixed-term 5 years with possibility of renewal - Executive level
Number of position offered : 1
The position is based in Milan.