At Moffitt Cancer Center, we come face-to-face with cancer every day, but we also see courage. And it inspires us to be the safest and best place for cancer care – to bring greater hope to every patient we serve. It’s why we’ve been continually named One of the Top Places to Work in the Tampa Bay Area. As the only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center based in Florida, Moffitt employs some of the best and brightest minds from around the world. Moffitt is the leading cancer hospital in both Florida and the Southeast and has been nationally ranked by U.S. News & World Report since 1999. Because working at Moffitt is both a career and a mission: to contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer. Join a dedicated, diverse and inclusive team of over 7,000 to be a part of the Courageous future we envision.
Postdoctoral Fellow – Molecular drivers of melanoma progression
A fully funded postdoctoral position is available in the laboratory of Florian A. Karreth, PhD in the Department of Molecular Oncology at Moffitt Cancer Center in Tampa, FL. The Karreth lab studies the molecular and genetic mechanisms promoting melanoma progression, metastasis, and drug resistance. We are recruiting a postdoctoral fellow to work on glycol-RNA at the intersection of glycobiology and RNA biology in the context of melanoma. This project is funded by the Department of Defense and will involve the characterization of glycoRNA formation and function and their role in mediating melanoma progression and metastasis by affecting interactions with the tumor microenvironment and immune system. The successful candidate will use a variety of cell biological, molecular biological, and biochemical methods, and generate innovative genetically engineered mouse models to better understand glycoRNAs in the context of spontaneous melanoma development. The ultimate goal is to identify vulnerabilities and opportunities for therapeutic targeting, and novel therapeutic strategies will be tested in vitro and in novel mouse models.
For more information about the Karreth Lab, please visit: http://labpages2.moffitt.org/karreth/
- Fully funded postdoctoral position on dissection the functions of novel glycoRNAs in melanoma
- Work with sophisticated mouse models and other cutting-edge technologies
- Unique access to patient samples and opportunity to translate findings into clinical trials
- Moffitt integrates excellent patient care with cutting-edge clinical and basic research. Having a cancer hospital on-site provides unique opportunities for translational research.
- Outstanding mentorship from expert faculty with wide-ranging funded research programs including T32 Training Grants.
- You will be encouraged and supported to apply for training grants.
The Ideal Candidate:
- Background in Molecular Biology, Cancer Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, or similar field
- Experience with melanoma, glycosylation, and/or noncoding RNAs. Experience with cancer mouse models is desirable but not required.
- Strong work ethic
- Motivated to work in a team and passionate about cancer research
- Independently design and execute experiments
- Assist with training junior lab members including undergraduate and graduate students
- Present results in lab meeting, internal progress meetings, and international conferences
- Assist with manuscript and grant writing
Credentials and Qualifications:
- PhD, MD, or MD/PhD in Molecular Biology, Cancer Biology, Biochemistry, Genetics, or similar field
- Evidence of recent scientific productivity in the form of first-author publication(s).
How to Apply: Interested applicants should send a cover letter, a current CV, and contact information for three references to Dr. Florian Karreth (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Moffitt Cancer Center and Research Institute is proud to be Florida’s only National Cancer Institute-designated Comprehensive Cancer Center located in Tampa. We strive to be the leader in understanding the complexity of cancer through team science and applying those insights for human benefits. Every Team Member of Moffitt focuses on our lasting commitment to our mission: To contribute to the prevention and cure of cancer.
You will be eligible for benefits offered to our Team Members – Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Retirement, Parental Leave and more. With a move to Tampa, you may be eligible for relocation allowance. Reason to relocate, aside from the sunshine, beaches and year-round outdoor recreation associated with the Gulf Coast of Florida
Equal Employment Opportunity
Moffitt Cancer Center is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, or protected veteran or disabled status. We seek candidates whose skills, and personal and professional experience, have prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment. Moffitt endeavors to make moffitt.org/careers accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact one of the Human Resources receptionists by phone at 813-745-7899 or by email at HRReceptionists@moffitt.org. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications. If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please click here.