About the team/job
Are you looking to work in a high-performance IT infrastructure and with the latest cloud technologies? Are you passionate about engineering new applications in response to scientific challenges?
The IT Services team operates and supports the IT infrastructure and services at EMBL headquarters in Heidelberg and at the laboratory’s sites in Barcelona, Grenoble, Hamburg and Rome.
As part of the IT Operations team, you will be responsible for managing and developing our in-house Kubernetes platform within EMBL’s large-scale high-performance IT infrastructure. You will contribute to the further integration of cloud compute strategies across the laboratory, drive the exploration of new technologies, and help our users make efficient use of the services you provide.
will include responsibilities such as to manage and develop:
- the EMBL on-prem cloud infrastructure based on Kubernetes
- the internal object store (S3 / MinIO cluster)
- the tools to automate systems and services deployment and configuration
- the IT services health monitoring
- key enterprise services such as identity and access management and collaboration platforms
and to provide complementary support and documentation to the team and the EMBL community
- Expertise in container orchestration via Kubernetes: in-/egress, load balancers, multi-tenancy concepts, automated deployment, etc.
- Solid knowledge of DevOps concepts: CI/CD, GitLab, etc.
- Familiarity with Linux system administration and large-scale software management
- Sound knowledge of configuration management tools (e.g. Ansible, Puppet) and large-scale log and metrics management (e.g. Graylog, Prometheus)
- Scripting skills (Python, Go, Shell or others)
- A good understanding of standard protocols such as LDAP, SSO, IMAP, SMTP to debug related services
- A degree in computer science and/or equivalent professional experience
- The ability to work independently as well as part of a team
You might also have
Why join us
Do something meaningful
At EMBL you can apply your talent and passion to accelerate science and tackle some of humankind's greatest challenges. EMBL conducts world-class excellent biological research, provides advanced training for students and scientists, and provides state-of-the-art technologies for a wide range of scientific and experimental services.
Join a culture of innovation
This is a highly collaborative and inclusive community where our employees enjoy a relaxed atmosphere. We are committed to ensuring our employees feel valued, supported and empowered to reach their professional potential. We are located in Heidelberg, a scientific hub in Germany and home to several internationally renowned research facilities adjacent to its world-famous university. Heidelberg is also a popular tourist destination due to its romantic city scape, including the Heidelberg Castle, the beautiful Baroque old town, amongst others.
Enjoy lots of benefits
- Financial incentives: Monthly family, child and non-resident allowances, annual salary review, a comprehensive pension scheme, death benefit, long-term care, accident-at-work and unemployment insurances
- Flexible working arrangements
- Certified training and continued development of your professional and personal skills
- Private medical insurance for you and your immediate family
- Generous time off: 30 days annual leave per year
- Relocation package including installation grant (if required)
- Campus life: Free shuttle bus to and from work, subsidized canteen and cafeteria, on-site library, casual dress code, extensive sports and social club activities
- Family benefits: On-site nursery, 10 days of child sick leave, generous parental leave and monthly family and child allowances
- Benefits for non-German newcomers: Visa exemption, education grant for private schooling, financial support to travel back to your home country every second year and a monthly non-resident allowance
What else you need to know
- International applicants: We recruit internationally and successful candidates are offered visa exemptions
- The working language of the institute is English
- Diversity and inclusion: At EMBL, we strongly believe that inclusive and diverse teams benefit from higher levels of innovation and creative thought, therefore we welcome all individuals to apply
- Job location: This role is based in Heidelberg, Germany. You will be required to relocate if you are based elsewhere and you will receive a generous relocation package to support you
- How to apply: To apply, please submit a cover letter and a CV through our online system
- Discover more on working with EMBL IT Services at embl.org/itservices