GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel is a foundation under public law jointly financed by the Federal Republic of Germany (90%) and the State of Schleswig-Holstein (10%). It is one of the internationally leading institutions in the field of marine research.
Through our research and our commitment to the transfer of knowledge and technology, we contribute significantly to the preservation of the function and protection of the ocean for future generations.
The research unit Marine Natural Products Chemistry / GEOMAR Centre for Marine Biotechnology within the research division Marine Ecology is seeking an experienced (Marine) Microbiologist (m/f/d) starting at the earliest date possible.
Research Unit Marine Natural Product Chemistry (RU MN) and its applied arm GEOMAR Centre for Marine Biotechnology (GEOMAR-Biotech) carry out both basic and applied research at GEOMAR. The research topics at RU MN/GEOMAR-Biotech range from fundamental marine chemical ecology to exploration of chemical components and biotechnological potential of marine microorganisms as well as macroorganisms (e.g., invertebrates, seaweeds) for discovery of medicines, food ingredients or cosmeceuticals. The holder of the post will interact closely with researchers at both GEOMAR, Kiel University and other partner institutions.
We are seeking a competent and experienced (marine) microbiologist support scientist (m/f/d) to perform the following tasks:
- Perform marine microbiology research and assist microbiology-related marine biotechnology projects and research staff (research scientists, technicians, PhD/MSc, undergraduate students)
- Management of microbiological and biotechnological facilities of GEOMAR-Biotech including pilot plants (300 L fermenter, downstream processing)
- Writing/supporting scientific publications and conference papers
- Assist in write-up of project proposals for external funding
- Support the management and coordination of (inter)national research projects and events
- Safety and data management of the research unit
- Scientific mentoring of students (mainly master's students)
- A MSc and a PhD in microbiology, preferably in marine microbiology
- Ability to work with “Pathogenen nach Bundesinfektionsschutzgesetz” (i.e., proven evidence for minimum two years of full-time work with pathogens under the supervision of a person who is licensed to work with pathogens) and qualification for project management according to “Gentechnikgesetz”.
- Demonstrated experience in writing first author-publications, excellent publication track record in scientific journals and conference presentations
- Experience in writing research proposals and management of (trans)national projects Research and management experience in German public research organizations
- Full professional proficiency in spoken and written German with excellent oral and written communication skills
- Proficiency in spoken and written English
Experience in microbiome/bioinformatics (Amplicon sequencing, biosynthetic gene cluster analyses) and previous attendance to research cruises/on-board sampling campaigns are highly desirable. Prior exposure to marine microbial biotechnology / (marine) natural product chemistry is welcome.
Our labs at Research Unit Marine Natural Products Chemistry are equipped with state-of-the-art chemical facilities including in-house UPLC-QTOF-MS coupled with DESI Imaging Mass Spectrometry, HPLC-DAD-MS, HPLC-HRMS, GC-MS, automated extraction systems (ASE, SFE), databases, as well as excellent microbiology/biotechnology facilities and over 75 running in vitro biological assays. Our in-house microbial culturing facilities span from small (1 L) to large-scale (300 L fermenter), as well as access to sequencing facilities. GEOMAR has full access to high-resolution (cryo-) NMR facilities at Kiel University. We lead or participate multiple collaborative EU or national research projects.
Working language in the group is English.
At a workplace, directly on the Kiel Fjord with many leisure and recreational opportunities, we offer you:
- Good conditions for work-life balance: We offer, among other things, the possibility of mobile working and individual working time arrangements, vacation courses for the children of our employees, and good support in finding a place in a daycare center at the Kiel site
- Support services for professional and personal life situations
- An exciting work environment with the opportunity to provide important impetus for the development of sustainable solutions
- Exciting topics in an international environment
- Work in the field of marine and climate research, a forward-looking area with social significance
- 30 vacation days + additional time off at Christmas and New Year's Eve
- Company pension plan and capital-forming benefits
This is a full-time position available for two years.
GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel seeks to increase the proportion of female scientists and explicitly encourages qualified female academics to apply.
GEOMAR is an equal opportunity employer and encourages scientists with disabilities to apply. Qualified disabled applicants will receive preference in the application process.
Please send your application in English not later than 13th October 2023.
As soon as the selection procedure has finished, all your application data will be removed according to data protection regulation.
For further information regarding the position and the research unit, please contact Prof. Dr. Deniz Tasdemir (firstname.lastname@example.org).
We will answer all your questions if you send us an e-mail to email@example.com. In doing so, please refer to the keyword “Microbiologist-MN”.
For further information on GEOMAR Helmholtz Centre for Ocean Research Kiel or the Helmholtz Association, please visit www.geomar.de or www.helmholtz.de.
GEOMAR is committed to an objective and non-discriminatory personnel selection. Our job advertisements address all people. We expressly renounce the submission of application photos.