Title: Associate or Senior Editor (Electronic and Neuromorphic Engineering)
Organisation: Nature Communications
Location: Shanghai, Beijing, or Nanjing (hybrid working)
Closing date: 11th October
Nature Research is the world’s leader in publishing high-quality research from across the natural sciences. Its journals include Nature, the Nature Research journals, the Nature Reviews journals and Nature Communications.
Nature Communications is the leading multidisciplinary Open Access journal, publishing high-quality scientific research. To help us to build on the success of this journal, we’re seeking a researcher with a background in electronic engineering with a particular interest in neuromorphic electronics, who has a critical eye, a deep understanding of their subject and interests beyond, and who can think on their feet.
The Associate/Senior Editor role at Nature Communications is ideal for researchers who love science but feel that a career at the bench isn’t enough to sate your desire to learn more about the natural world and for those who enjoy reading papers outside their chosen area of research.
The responsibilities include:
- Handling original research papers, and working closely with other editors on all aspects of the editorial process, including manuscript selection and overseeing peer review.
- Making well-reasoned editorial decisions on submitted manuscripts in the light of expert advice.
- Determining the representation of their subject in the journal.
- Liaising extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and with experts in the international scientific community.
- Attending conferences and visiting research institutions.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in electronic engineering/physics/materials science. This could include, but is not limited to, inorganic electronics, memory devices, CMOS technologies, integrated circuits and systems, control systems or neuromorphic and other emergent computing technologies.
- Some postdoctoral research experience is preferred but not essential. A thorough understanding of the fundamentals of the subject is essential.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality and across the wider field of statistics and machine learning.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of this discipline.
- Be eager to travel and meet scientists worldwide, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
This role can be based in our Shanghai, Beijing, or Nanjing office on a hybrid working model. The position is offered on a full-time, permanent basis. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply and will potentially be considered for Senior Editor positions.
Applicants should include a CV, a cover letter explaining their interest in the post and their preferred office of employment, and at the end of their cover letter, a separate concise (300-400 words) discussion of recent scientific developments in any area related to electronics that they found particularly exciting, stating why.
Closing date: 11th October 2023
At Springer Nature, we are committed to creating a great working environment which includes the benefits you receive, opportunities for you to develop your skills and ways to get to know your colleagues. Some of these include:
· Support networks that focus on fostering dialogue around diversity, community building, advice and advocacy
· Wellbeing initiatives to support in maintaining a healthy work life balance
· 24-hour access to our learning and development platform Leap and LinkedIn Learning to help develop your skills
Further details regarding benefits and hybrid working in your preference of location will be discussed during the interview process.