Would you like your PostDoc project funded, conducting your studies at a leading pharmaceutical company, beneﬁting from a fully resourced and well-funded research environment? With our new PostDoc grant program on opnMe.com, the open innovation portal of Boehringer Ingelheim, we are providing a unique opportunity for high-caliber talent to pitch their scientific ideas and approaches for a well-defined research question.
For this PostDoc position in Retinal diseases, we invite you to share a 4–5-page scientific proposal using our submission template from opnMe by addressing the following question:
Using innovative cellular systems, how would you propose to explore the multifactorial pathophysiology of retinal diseases with the goal to identify and explore novel therapeutic entry points for patients in need?
The proposed models should cover one of the following retinal diseases namely age-related macular degeneration, diabetes-related retinal degeneration, or Stargardt disease.
• PhD with strong background in Molecular and Cell Biology
• Hands-on in vitro and ex vivo experience in the field of retinal diseases
• Displayed examples of creativity that led to out-of-the-box scientific ideas and results
• Strong understanding of retinal biology and the pathways that drive the pathophysiology of retinal diseases
• Track record of independent research as exemplified through publications or patents
• Very good oral communication and presentation skills as well as the ability to work in multidisciplinary teams in a matrix environment.
• Fluent language skills in English are mandatory, German language skills is a plus.
How to apply
Please upload your research proposal using our submission template, complemented with your CV, publication list, and letters of recommendation on opnMe.com through October 25, 2023, 11:59 pm PST.
Rewards and Benefits
- As a winner of this call, you will have the unique opportunity to pursue your own submitted research project as a fully resourced PostDoc project in the Retinopathy team at Boehringer Ingelheim at the Discovery Research site in Biberach(Riss), Germany.
- Obtain a position for up to 3 years with Boehringer Ingelheim within a cross-functional, international team of world-class scientists working on retinal diseases. The grant would also allow you to carry out parts of your planned experiments at your current home institution.
- Gain access to a fully equipped lab in a state-of-the-art research facility including access to all relevant tools (e.g., iPSC, retinal organoids) and technologies.
- Benefit from mentoring through our internal experts, have the chance to attend international conferences, and to publish your results in high-ranking journals.
- Be part of the vibrant PostDoc community at Boehringer Ingelheim in Biberach with manifold opportunities for scientific, cross-functional exchanges for your personal development.
Working at Boehringer Ingelheim
Our purpose is to transform lives for generation. Therefore, we developed three key principles for our PostDoc program which are determining our plans and actions: Drive cutting-edge science, new concepts and technologies; enrich Boehringer Ingelheim’s innovation ecosystem with highly motivated, young fellows, who will help to build on science to develop new medicines; and train the next generation of leading scientists invited for only one day during this time frame.
Our campus community culture is great for sharing ideas and makes it easy to access technologies, meet experts, and approach leaders of all levels. There’s a great spirit of freedom, fluidity, and fierce collaboration. Interactions are sound and informal. It’s not particularly hierarchical, more team-based with a start-up attitude. We are always keen to help and speak up, open to positive change and new ideas that support our mission to improve lives. Our Speak-Up policy is an important part of our Code of Conduct. Only this way we can continuously develop and improve as a company. Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) is an integral part of Boehringer Ingelheim’s identity; a key element of our culture and contributes to our ‘Sustainable Development – For Generations’.
Our core values of empathy, respect, passion and trust nurture a diverse, collaborative, open and inclusive environment which is key to innovation, value creation and sustainable growth. With the inclusion of various experiences, backgrounds and characteristics, Boehringer Ingelheim creates an openness to different approaches, solutions and perspectives, all contributing to create “Value through Innovation”.