is an entrepreneurial and vibrant non-profit research institute in Flanders-Belgium with a clear focus on groundbreaking research in life sciences. About 1500 scientists and technologists from over 60 countries are based at the 5 Flemish Universities of Ghent, Leuven, Antwerp, Brussels, and Hasselt, and are studying the broad spectrum of molecular mechanisms that regulate the functions of the human body, plants and microorganisms.
The VIB-KULeuven Center for Cancer Biology (CCB),
located on the Campus Gasthuisberg of the University of Leuven, contributes to the better understanding of the biology that underlies cancer initiation, progression, and metastatic dissemination with the ultimate goal to develop more effective and specific anti-cancer (combination) therapies. CCB is currently composed of more than 200 scientists in 12 independent research groups and units. Our scientific interest lies in various hallmarks of tumors and their microenvironment, including inflammation, metabolism, genetic and epigenetic regulating circuits. CCB fosters an interdisciplinary environment and close cooperation with the Comprehensive Cancer Center of Leuven (LKI) and the University Hospital, both located on the same campus, to promote translational research.
The Laboratory for Cellular Metabolism and Metabolic Regulation
is a young and dynamic team of researchers performing cutting-edge cancer metabolism research with special focus on cancer metastasis and novel metabolic pathways. We exploit in vivo
mouse models, metabolomics, and 13C tracer analysis to gain groundbreaking insights into metabolism as a driving force of metastasis formation. Our work is published in high-profile journals such as Nature, Nature Communications, Cell Reports, and Nature Cancer. We have strong international recognition and top collaboration partners all over the world.
Are you interested to support high-profile in vitro and in vivo cancer research?
- You have an education in laboratory research.
- You have expertise in some of the following techniques: cell culture, western blot, qPCR as well as animal handling and experimentation (a FELASA B certificate is an advantage), Immunohistochemistry, Fluorescence Activated Cell sorting (FACS), mass spectrometry and advanced cell culture techniques.
- You are interested to learn and expand your practical and technological knowledge
- You can work in a team as well as independently.
- You work in a structured, organized, and goal-oriented manner and are able to document results in detail in an electronic format.
- You are passionate about your work and motivated to work in an international young environment.
- You are willing to participate in laboratory management tasks (cleaning, drafting procedures, preparing laboratory reagents, etc.).
- You maintain a good level of written and spoken English.
- We offer a full-time contract as a lab technician for two years, with the possibility of a permanent contract afterward.
- The opportunity to support exciting cutting-edge research projects in metastasis formation and novel metabolic pathways.
- Working in an environment of multidisciplinary and international collaborations.
- The possibility to work beyond state-of-the-art technologies including mass spectrometry and single-cell RNA-sequencing.
- Teamwork and individual research career development.
- A position in a vibrant international team of young and dynamic researchers.
How to apply?
Please provide a motivation letter, full CV, list of publications, and contact details of 2 referees in one single pdf file.
For more information:
Please contact us ( https://fendtlab.sites.vib.be/en ) or follow us on Twitter (@FendtLab)
Leuven - only 20 minutes away from Brussels by train - is a vivid university city with a rich history, a well-preserved historical town center, and a lively multi-cultural atmosphere. The city is surrounded by charming small villages, woods, and nature. Leuven has a lively atmosphere because of the many students from all over the world.
Leuven is home to the KU Leuven
, the largest and oldest university of the Low Countries and one of the oldest universities still in Europe. The related university hospital of UZ Leuven
is one of the largest hospitals in Europe.
Leuven and the surroundings are a great place for young people and families to live and raise children. There are many excellent day care centers and schools including an international school.