APPLICATION CLOSING DATE: 30th of June 2023
Human Technopole (HT) is a new interdisciplinary life science research institute, created and supported by the Italian government, with the aim of developing innovative strategies to improve human health. In this context the Giustacchini group at the Population and Medical Genomics Centre is looking for a computational postdoctoral fellow.
The project will involve the analysis of newly developed datasets from human hematopoietic stem cells and pediatric/adult leukemias. This project may result in the development of novel strategies for the early detection and monitoring of therapyresistance-prone cells in cancer, with important implications for prevention of disease relapse and identification of novel therapeutic targets.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to interact with a live team of researchers and computational biologists within the Population and Medical Genomics Centre (Soranzo, Soskic, Dominguez Conde and Glastonbury groups) and will have the chance to work in close collaboration with the groups of Andrea Sottoriva and Francesco Iorio, within the Computational Biology Centre.
The successful candidate will report to Alice Giustacchini, Research Group Leader of the Population and Medical Genomics Research Centre.
(S)He will have the following main responsibilities:
- Analyze large single cell datasets and develop or apply computational methods for clonal tracking;
- Managing data analysis within their project;
- Generating reliable data for publication in the projects to which they are assigned and record all data and results in specified forms (paper and electronic);
- Publishing reproducible research in international conferences and journals;
- Interacting and supporting other group members whenever needed;
- Sharing and discussing research results with collaborators.
We are seeking a creative and highly motivated computational biologist with prime interest in single cell genomics. Candidates must have a PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics or related genomic disciplines. Experience with next-generation sequencing data and strong programming and quantitative skills are required. Previous work in translational bioinformatics (theoretical or analytical) is a plus.
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, statistics or related disciplines
- Experience in single-cell RNA-seq analysis
- 3+ years of experience in programming in Python or R;
- Fluency in English.
- Ability and interest to learn and develop new methodologies;
- Previous work in translational bioinformatics (theoretical or analytical);
- Previous experience with machine learning methods.
Required personal skills:
- Ability to manage competing priorities in a fast-paced environment and to work independently;
- Strong interpersonal skills demonstrated by the ability to lead and gain the assistance and cooperation of others in a team endeavour;
- Ability to build trust through operating with transparency and creating an open and positive environment;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who are part of the protected categories list, according to L. 68/99
- A motivation letter
- Names and contacts of 2 referees
HT offers a highly collaborative, international culture to foster top quality, interdisciplinary research by promoting a vibrant environment consisting of independent research groups with access to outstanding graduate students, postdoctoral fellows and core facilities.
HT is an inclusive employer that fosters diversity and engages systematically to ensure that equal employment opportunities are provided without regard to age, race, creed, religion, sex, disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national or ethnic origin or any other legally recognized status entitled to protection under applicable laws.
HT offers attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to a leading, internationally competitive, research organization that promotes a collegial and open atmosphere. The compensation package granted will be internationally competitive and comprise pension scheme, medical and other social benefits. Candidates coming to Italy for the first time, or returning after residing abroad, benefit from very attractive income tax benefits.
Number of positions offered: 1
Contract offered: CCNL Chimico Farmaceutico, -fixed-term, 4 years, Employee level
The role is based in Milan.