Director of the Milner Centre
Department: Life Sciences
Closing date: Sunday 18 June 2023
We are looking for a new Director to continue and expand the work of the MCE, specifically to provide leadership and vision for the Milner Centre for Evolution. You will be appointed to the position of professor within the Department of Life Sciences and will take on the role of Director of the Milner Centre.
About the Role:
Reporting to the Head of Department of Life Sciences, the Director will be tasked with enabling its members to continue to achieve excellence in all aspects of our remit, including world-class fundamental and applied evolution research and outreach activities. You will develop and enhance the relationships with our funders and other stakeholders that made the Centre possible, and to seek further support for the members of the Centre. You will work with other members of the Leadership Team to further the operation and strategic development objectives of the Department of Life Sciences, The Faculty of Science, and University at large.
We are seeking a professor with an elite research program in evolutionary biology, in addition to a high-profile record of outreach and public engagement. The successful candidate will have a record of excellence in research and leadership, proven track record in science communication and outreach, and the academic and interpersonal skills needed to drive the strategic direction of the core objectives of the Centre.
You will lead the strategic goals of the department which are:
- to deliver outstanding research and develop our current excellent reputation
- to deliver innovative and effective evolution research programmes to produce influential post graduates with excellent career prospects
- to expand our capacity and capability by investment in new infrastructure, facilities and people
- to foster a positive, balanced and enthusiastic working culture with a sense of common purpose
- to enhance the impact of research and knowledge through increasing our industry-facing and engagement activity
- to become the hub for evolutionary research and engagement
Please ensure you attach a CV and covering letter to your application.
For an informal discussion about the position, please feel free to contact: Duncan Craig, Dean, Faculty of Science, email@example.com, or Philip Ingham FRS, Head of Department of Life Sciences, firstname.lastname@example.org.
What we can offer you:
- a very generous employer contributory pension scheme
- generous annual leave allowance with an additional 5 discretionary days so that you can enjoy a positive work life balance
- we are a family-friendly University and with an increasingly agile workforce, are open to flexible working arrangements
- an excellent reward package that recognises the talents of our diverse workforce
- a wide range of personal and professional development opportunities
- a number of support options available for new and existing staff to help with the cost of some immigration expenses which you may be eligible for: Relocation allowance, Visa Reimbursement, Interest-Free Loan
We aim to be an inclusive university, where difference is celebrated, respected and encouraged. We have an excellent international reputation with staff from over 60 different nations and have made a positive commitment towards gender equality and intersectionality receiving a Silver Athena SWAN award. We truly believe that diversity of experience, perspectives, and backgrounds will lead to a better environment for our employees and students, so we encourage applications from all genders, backgrounds, and communities, particularly from under-represented groups, and value the positive impact that will have on our teams.
We are very proud to be an autism friendly university and are an accredited Disability Confident Leader; committed to building disability confidence and supporting disabled staff.
Find out from our staff what makes the University of Bath a great place to work. Follow us @UniofBath and @UniofBathJobs on Twitter for more information.
If you think you may require a visa to work in the UK, you should refer to our guidance on the Skilled Worker Visa before embarking on a job application to ensure you understand the requirements for sponsorship. You may be eligible to work in the UK via other alternative visa routes such as the Global Talent Visa or by having Settlement / Indefinite Leave to Remain - please refer to our Staff Immigration webpages for further details.
Update to our application process
We are constantly seeking to reduce the unconscious bias that enters any assessment process, with the goal of creating an inclusive and equal assessment process. To support this, personal details will be removed from application forms at the initial shortlisting stage.
To apply for the role of Director of the Milner Centre, please apply via the button shown.
Other organisations may call this role Life Sciences Professor, Life Sciences Lecturer, Head of the Milner Centre, Evolution Professor, or Lecturer of Evolution.