Formally established in June 2022, the Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (Guangzhou)(HKUST(GZ)) is a cooperatively-run higher education institution between the Chinese mainland and the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region. HKUST(GZ) has obtained approval from the Ministry of Education (MoE) and become the first legally-independent educational institution co-established by the Mainland and Hong Kong since the announcement and implementation of the “Outline Development Plan for the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area” and the “Overall Plan for Deepening Globally Oriented Comprehensive Co-operation amongst Guangdong, Hong Kong and Macao in Nansha of Guangzhou”. HKUST(GZ) is located at No.1 Duxue Road, Qingsheng Hub Cluster, Nansha District, Guangzhou. The campus covers an area of about 1,669 mu (111.3 hectares) and is divided into two construction phases. The first phase covers an area of about 716 mu (47.7 hectares) with a floorage of about 636,000 square meters (63.6 hectares), which has been officially put into use in September 2022.
The intended areas of focus in the GZ Campus will be thematic and cross-disciplinary in nature, synergistic with HKUST without overlapping academic degrees or structures. HKUST(GZ) comprises four Hubs, namely Function Hub, Information Hub, Systems Hub, Society Hub and offers 15 postgraduate degrees. At steady state, the number of undergraduate and postgraduate students will reach a total of 10,000.
College of Education Sciences (CES), under Vice-President for Teaching and Learning, is the academic unit responsible for the first- and second-year undergraduate education, offering humanities, social sciences, language and STEM courses. CES will conduct research in the fields of cognitive sciences and innovative pedagogy. CES also serves as the home unit for UG students before their program major determined, providing students with academic-related services. The College is composed of five divisions, including: Division of General Education (DGE), Division of STEM Education (STEM), Division of Cognitive Sciences (DCS), Division of Language Education (DLE), Division of UG Teaching Labs (UGTL).
CES is inviting applications or nominations for non-substantiation-track faculty positions at Associate /Assistant Professor of Education, Senior Lecturer, Lecturer I, Lecturer II in STEM Education. We welcome exceptional candidates, who are enthusiastic about the exploration and implementation of educational innovation, and have demonstrable expertise and teaching experiences in the following areas:
- Computer Science
Major responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Plan, design and conduct the delivery of the Common Core and Fundamental courses for freshmen and sophomores;
- Conduct the research on educational sciences, teaching innovation, educational technology, etc. across Thrusts through cutting-edge research methods and tools;
- Responsible for mentoring students and other community services as required;
- Contribute to the University’s education reform and the establishment of innovative talent cultivation model across the University;
- Contribute to the establishment of the University’s education policy including teaching and learning assessment, teaching and learning quality assurance, etc.;
- Contribute to the promotion of innovative teaching methods including blended learning, flip classroom, etc.
- Associate/Assistant Professor of Education: A PhD degree in the mentioned fields above or any other related fields with at least 4 years teaching/research or related experiences after PhD graduation in STEM Education in higher education sector (experiences in interdisciplinary teaching are preferable);
- Senior Lecturer, Lecturer I, Lecturer II: at least a MSc/MPhil degree in the mentioned fields above or any other related fields; at least 4 years for Lecturer I and 6 years for Senior Lecturer teaching or research experiences in STEM Education in higher education sector (experiences in interdisciplinary teaching are preferable);
- Veteran in innovative pedagogies and teaching methods such as flipped classroom, blended learning, experiential learning;
- Have published on top-ranking journals nationally or internationally;
- Able to inspire and cultivate the interdisciplinary mindset, critical thinking and innovation ability of students by providing them with diversified learning experiences;
- A high level of proficiency in spoken and written English;
- Be passionate in teaching and learning with outstanding communication skills and teamwork spirit.
English is the medium of instruction and administration at HKUST (GZ). HKUST(GZ) is committed to diversity in recruitment and equal opportunity employment and we strongly encourage suitable candidates of diverse backgrounds to submit their applications.
Remuneration and Conditions of Service
Salary is highly competitive of international standard and will be commensurate with qualifications and experience. Appointment to non-substantiation track educational faculty will be made on a fixed-term contract of up to 6 years with a mid-term review after 3 years of service.
Application Procedure for Faculty Positions
Please submit the application via the HKUST(GZ)/ HKUST Recruitment System (https://facrecruit.hkust.edu.hk/). You should first sign up to create your personal account. For more information on HKUST(GZ), you may visit the recruitment website (https://gz-faculty-recruitment.hkust.edu.hk/).
Review of applications will continue until all positions are filled. We thank applicants for their interest. Please be advised that only shortlisted candidates will be notified of the result of the application.
For questions regarding the recruitment system or general inquiry, please reach us at email@example.com. For College specific questions, please address to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject title of “Application to CES”.
(Information provided by applicants will be used for recruitment and other employment-related purposes. All application materials including publication samples and scholarly/creative works will be disposed of after the completion of the recruitment exercise.)