Department of Internal Medicine Vice Chair for Research and Innovation
- University of Kentucky
- Lexington, Kentucky
- Not Specified
- 22 Mar 2023
- 21 May 2023
- Health Science
- Job Type
- Faculty Member
- Employment - Hours
- Full time
The Department of Internal Medicine at the University of Kentucky seeks candidates for the position of Vice Chair for Research and Innovation. The Department is poised to achieve regional and national recognition in clinical care delivery and medical education with opportunity to build a robust research program focused on the care of medically complex patients. Our department benefits from serving an integral role in a vibrant and robust healthcare enterprise, UK Healthcare, which brings state-of-the-art facilities and technology to our Lexington, Kentucky campus as we move toward our goal of becoming a top 20 medical center. UK HealthCare ranks in the top quartile of academic medical centers with service volume per year of > 1 million outpatient visits and > 40,000 hospital discharges with an annual operating budget of approximately $2 billion. Lexington, Horse Capitol of the world, is located in the beautiful Bluegrass Region of Kentucky.
The Vice Chair for Research and Innovation will represent the Department of Medicine in several collaborative research areas across the College of Medicine and University of Kentucky.
Responsibilities of the Vice Chair for Research and Innovation, include rank of Associate Professor or Professor in a Tenure-Track, works in partnership with the Chair, other Vice Chairs, Division Chiefs and PhDs, to provide overall leadership and coordination of the Department of Internal Medicine’s basic, clinical and translational research programs.
The Vice Chair of Research and Innovation will represent the Department and work in collaboration with the overall research program and direction as outlined by the College of Medicine – Vice Dean for Research.
The Vice Chair of Research and Innovation will represent the Department and also work in collaboration with the other Department Chairs of Basic Science across the University and Vice President of Research
Other responsibilities include:
- Serve as the primary Departmental liaison to the faculty with the College of Medicine, Office of Sponsored Projects Administration, Office of the Vice President for Research, Center for Clinical and Translational Science, etc.
- Maintain data retention policies and provide education and resources to ensure Department of Internal Medicine laboratory compliance.
- Guide the recruitment and professional development of basic, clinical and translational science-oriented faculty.
- Provide oversight to Department of Internal Medicine Facility Operations to ensure effective use of all research space assigned to the Department, including policy development to guide space assignment in collaboration with the Dean’s office.
- Facilitate equipment transfers of incoming and departing faculty.
- Facilitate the growth of the Department’s research portfolio, including identifying or creating conditions for groups that could apply for T-grants, F-grants, P or U or similar grants at the basic, clinical and/or translational levels.
- Evaluate key indicators of research performance and make recommendations on how to improve indicators, where appropriate. Key indicators include indirect cost returns, research revenue, research funds / square foot, success rate, awarded grants, and impact.
- Represent the department on various research issues within the department, College, and University. This includes service on committees as assigned.
- Provide updates to Chair, Chiefs, faculty and others related to funding opportunities, new developments within the NIH and other sponsors, etc.
- Participate in departmental faculty meetings, Vice Chair meetings, Division Chiefs and College of Medicine Research meetings.
- Other duties and requirements as assigned by Department leadership.
We seek candidates who exemplify the Living DIReCT values of UK HealthCare – Diversity, Innovation, Respect, Compassion, and Teamwork.
Please include a CV and cover letter along with application. In addition, please include the names and contact information for at least three (3) references when prompted in the application. This information may be used to solicit letters from your references within the employment system.
The University of Kentucky is committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce by ensuring all our students, faculty, and staff work in an environment of openness and acceptance. We strive to foster a community where people of all backgrounds, identities, and perspectives can feel secure and welcome. We also value the well-being of each of our employees and are dedicated to creating a healthy place to work, learn and live.
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we strongly encourage veterans, individuals with disabilities, women, and all minorities to consider our employment opportunities.
Link to apply: https://ukjobs.uky.edu/postings/435128