Postdoc Position in Experimental Living Matter Physics (fulltime, E 13 TV-L)
- Universität Konstanz
- Konstanz (Stadt), Baden-Württemberg (DE)
- Entgeltgruppe E 13 TV-L
- 21 Mar 2023
- 20 May 2023
- Job Type
- Employment - Hours
- Full time
- Fixed term
Reference No.: 2023/069. The start date is flexible, between June and October 2023. The position is available initially for two years, aiming for an extension.
The University of Konstanz is one of eleven Universities of Excellence in Germany. Since 2007 it has been successful in the German Excellence Initiative and its follow-up programme, the Excellence Strategy.
The position is available in the research group of Dr. Stefan Karpitschka (https://www.ds.mpg.de/dcf/karpitschka-group/), which currently moves from the MPI-DS to the University of Konstanz. The research has a strong interdisciplinary focus, at the intersection of statistical physics, biophysics, polymer physics, and active matter research. The project is embedded in the Univeristy of Konstanz research priority “Collective behavior andecology” and provides a highly interdisciplinary research environment.
- Designing and conducting experiments on the physiology, behavior, and self-organization of filamentous cyanobacteria
- Managing and optimizing cell cultures
- Analysis of image data with deep learning, preferably in Tensorflow / Keras
- Interpretation of the results in the context of current literature
- Supervision of student assistants, Co-Supervision of PhD students
- Presentation of results at workshops and conferences
- Publication of results in high quality scientific journals
- PhD in physics or a related field, with a focus on experimental biophysics
- Coding skills (preferably python)
- Passion for experimental research in fundamental living matter science
- Curiosity-driven personality, open to learn new experimental techniques and data analysis approaches
- Hands-on mentality in daily laboratory work
- Motivation for interdisciplinary research, connecting experiments to theory
- Strong written and oral communications skills in English
- Good development opportunities, extensive training and an attractive remuneration package
- An open and motivated research team
- Training in state-of-the art experimental techniques and image analysis methods (deep learning)
- Frequent participation in workshops and conferences
- Vast networking opportunities in a collaborative and interdisciplinary University-wide research focus
- Freedom to develop independent ideas, but also direct and close supervision (“open doors policy”)
- Profound career and family support
- Region with high recreational value
Questions can be directed to Mr. Prof. Dr. Stefan Karpitschka via e-mail: email@example.com.
We look forward to receiving your application with the usual documents until 15.04.2023 via our Online Application Portal.
The University of Konstanz is committed to ensuring an environment that provides equal opportunities and promotes diversity as well as a good balance between university and family life. As an equal opportunity employer, we strive to increase the number of women working in research and teaching. We also support working couples through our dual career programme. Persons with disabilities are explicitly encouraged to apply. They will be given preference if appropriately qualified (contact firstname.lastname@example.org, + 49 7531 88-4016).