Postdoc in Computational mRNA Biology
- Human Technopole
- Milan (IT)
- 20 Mar 2023
- 19 May 2023
- Health Science, Life Science
- Job Type
- Employment - Hours
- Full time
- Fixed term
Human Technopole (HT) is a new interdisciplinary life science research institute, created and supported by the Italian Government, with the aim of developing innovative strategies to improve human health. HT is composed of five Centers: Computational Biology, Structural Biology, Genomics, Neurogenomics and Health Data Science. The Centers work together to enable interdisciplinary research and to create an open, collaborative environment that will help promote life science research both nationally and internationally.
The Human Technopole Foundation is looking for a Postdoc in Computational mRNA Biology. The position will be an appointment in the Functional Genomics Research Centre and supervised by Dr. Lorenzo Calviello.
The successful candidate will be supported by a world-class environment with international leaders in advanced analytics and cutting-edge -omics technologies, and will apply state-of-the art computational methods to targeted questions in functional genomics and mRNA biology.
The Calviello Lab is a hybrid computational/experimental research group interested in post-transcriptional gene regulation at -omics scale, with a focus on translation and its many connections to mRNA and proteome dynamics.
The open position is intended to work on projects focused on large scale analysis of -omics datasets profiling molecular processes at single-nucleotide resolution (e.g. Ribo-seq, CLIP-seq), and develop innovative computational methods to unbiasedly identify the features predictive of different regulatory steps in the gene expression cascade, towards a quantitative, data-driven understanding of molecular processes and accurate applications in personalized medicine.
The successful candidate will be supported by a world-class environment with international leaders in advanced analytics and cutting-edge -omics technologies, and will apply state-of-the art computational methods to targeted questions in functional genomics and mRNA biology; she/he will work in collaboration with all team members in the Calviello Lab and in the Functional Genomics – Computational Biology Centres. Collaborations and interactions within the HT campus and beyond are highly encouraged, to develop independent research projects and prepare for a successful future in interdisciplinary science.
Key tasks and responsibilities:
- Develop machine learning models for the high-resolution analysis of functional transcriptomics datasets.
- Perform in silico experiments to stress model capabilities in capturing relevant signals under different perturbations.
- Write well-annotated, reproducible code, employing essential tools in computational research, such as version control and dynamic reporting (e.g. git, Jupyter notebooks, Rmarkdown).
- Communicate results to the larger scientific community in the form of scientific manuscripts and conference presentations, with clearly documented methods, results, and visualizations.
- A PhD degree in Computational Biology or related discipline, with a focus on quantitative analysis methods.
- Proven track record of research in Computational Biology, Functional Genomics and/or Machine Learning.
- Background in statistical learning methods, with a focus on interpretable models.
- Strong programming skills in R (Bioconductor) and/or Python.
- Knowledge of next generation library preparation techniques.
- Previous experience with analysis of multiple RNA-seq technologies.
- Experience in developing documented computational tools for -omics data.
- Familiarity with time series analysis and AI approaches (e.g. Natural Language Processing).
Desired personal skills:
- Ability to work independently.
- Willingness to frequently and openly discuss results and ideas, highlighting controls and potential pitfalls, using concise and clear presentations.
- Fluency in English (HT is an international research institute).
- Motivation to interact lively with colleagues in the lab, other departments, and the larger scientific community in various events (journal clubs, lab meetings, seminars, hackathons, international conferences, etc.).
- Strong communication skills and respect for their own and other colleagues’ work, towards fostering a transparent, collaborative, stimulating, and welcoming scientific environment.
- Willingness in identifying third-party funding sources, towards promoting growth into full academic independence.
Please apply by sending a CV and a detailed motivation letter in English only through the dedicated area below (Apply now) and the name and contact details of at least 3 potential referees.
HT offers a highly collaborative, international and diverse work environment. The working language is English. HT will foster top quality, interdisciplinary research by promoting a vibrant environment consisting of independent research groups that will attract outstanding graduate students and postdoctoral fellows. HT scientists will have full access to cutting-edge Core Facilities.
HT is an inclusive, equal opportunity employer offering attractive conditions and benefits appropriate to a leading, internationally competitive research organization. HT seeks to promote a collegial and family-friendly atmosphere.
The remuneration package comprises a competitive salary, a comprehensive pension scheme, medical and other social benefits, as well as financial support for relocation and installation, including the family. Researchers coming to Italy for the first time, or returning after residing abroad, benefit from very attractive income tax benefits.
Special consideration will be given to candidates who are part of the protected categories list, according to L. 68/99.
Contract offered: CCNL Chimico Farmaceutico, Employee level, contract duration 4 years fixed term.