From January 2021, authors submitting to Nature Catalysis will have the option of publishing their research using either:
1 - Traditional publishing model - an article is submitted and is assessed by our editors. If suitable it will be put through Peer Review, and if successful (subject to amendments), will be eligible for publication. Published articles are made available to institutions and individuals who subscribe to Nature Catalysis or who pay to read specific articles.
2 - Open Access - same publishing process as above. The difference is that when an article is accepted for publication, the author/s or funder/s pay an Article Processing Charge (APC). The final version of the published article is then free to read for everyone. The APC to publish Open Access in Nature Catalysis is €9,500
Articles that are published OA are freely available online, and are published under a Creative Commons CC-BY license, which allows for reuse and sharing. The publishing costs are covered by the author’s institution or funding body paying an Article Processing Charge (APC).
THE BENEFITS OF PUBLISHING OPEN ACCESS
- For authors - their work is seen by more people. Open Access articles are viewed and cited more often than articles behind a paywall.
- For readers - they can access and build upon the most recent work and datasets in their field. Content is available, and reusable for all.
- For funders - the work they fund will reach a wider audience and will have a broader impact.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT?
All manuscripts published between now and the end of 2020 will be published using our traditional model, where the content is available to institutions and individuals who subscribe to Nature Catalysis.
From January 2021, authors submitting to the journal will also have the option of publishing OA.
If authors need to publish OA because they are mandated to by their institution or funder, they can choose this route. For those who do not have these restrictions, they can choose to publish either via the traditional route or OA. The corresponding author will need to select which publishing option they want when their research is accepted.
Regardless of the publishing model, Nature Catalysis will continue to provide the same high levels of personal author service, editorial rigour, peer-review, and high quality publishing services from our team of in-house editors.
WHAT IS AN ARTICLE PROCESSING CHARGE?
The Article Processing Charge (APC) is the amount authors are charged when their manuscript is accepted for publication. APCs cover the following:
- Editorial work: assess and select the most important research to publish, partner with authors and reviewers to deliver significant improvements to manuscripts through our rigorous and intensive review process, manage peer review, bespoke correspondence with authors, administrative support and journal development.
- Technical infrastructure and innovation: development, maintenance and operation of online journal systems and websites.
- Production of articles: formatting, lay-out and mark-up of articles, copy editing and inclusion in indexing services.
- Promotion of journal and content: making sure readers and authors know about the work published in the journal.
- Customer service: responding to the needs of authors and readers.
Nature Catalysis aims to provide the highest levels of author service, editorial rigour and consistency. Our in-house team of highly qualified, professional, independent editors:
- read and evaluate all submissions
- decide which papers to send out to peer review
- guide authors and reviewers through the peer review process
- decide which papers to accept.
All our editors come from academic environments, are all PhD-level, and have a deep understanding of scientific research and publishing.