Aims and scope
IJIR: Your Sexual Medicine Journal addresses sexual medicine for all sexes and genders as an interdisciplinary field. This includes work from basic science researchers, urologists, obstetricians and gynecologists, endocrinologists, cardiologists, family practitioners, internists, neurologists, psychiatrists, psychologists, radiologists and other physical and mental health care professionals. It also includes work from gender and sexuality researchers, sex therapists, and others with scholarly expertise in human sexuality and sexual well-being. Areas of interest include:
- Design and methodology of clinical trials of human sexual function and dysfunction across categories of sex and gender
- Psychological assessment of sexual function and dysfunction
- History, case studies, and physical examination of human sexual function and dysfunction
- Diagnostic testing: vascular, neurologic, endocrinologic, anatomic, psychologic, nocturnal arousal, genital tissue biopsy, etc.
- Primary care perspective in the treatment of human sexual function and dysfunction across categories of sex and gender
- Modification of reversible causes of sexual dysfunction
- Sex steroid therapies for sexual dysfunction
- Vacuum devices for sexual dysfunction
- Psychotherapy in the treatment of sexual dysfunction
- Oral vasoactive agents for the treatment of sexual dysfunction
- Topical treatment for sexual dysfunction
- Intra-urethral and intracavernosal therapy for erectile dysfunction
- Reconstructive surgeries for genital repair following injury
- Penile prosthesis for the treatment of erectile dysfunction
- Microvascular arterial bypass surgery/Venous leak surgery for erectile dysfunction
- History of sexual function and dysfunction
- Epidemiology of human sexual function and dysfunction
- Anatomy (gross and microscopic) of sexual function and dysfunction
- Animal models used in the study of sexual function and dysfunction
- Vascular physiology of genital arousal
- Neurophysiology of sexual function
- Central nervous system control of sexual function
- Endocrinology of sexual function
- Molecular biologic studies in sexual function
- Pharmacologic studies in sexual function
- Risk factors for sexual dysfunction
- Iatrogenic sexual dysfunction
- Peyronie's disease of tunica albuginea (penile and clitoral)
- Priapism of penis and clitoris
- Diabetes mellitus and sexual dysfunction
- Chronic renal failure and sexual dysfunction
- Spinal cord injury and sexual dysfunction
- Blunt trauma and sexual dysfunction
- Pelvic cancer treatments and sexual dysfunction
- Causes and treatment of ejaculatory/orgasmic disorders
- Causes and treatment of sexual pain disorders
- Gene modification and therapy
- Genital lengthening/size change surgery
IJIR: Your Sexual Medicine Journal covers a range of subject areas, to read content across the scope of the journal view the journal's subjects page here.
Why publish in IJIR: Your Sexual Medicine Journal?
- Established in 1989, our highly respected journal publishes ground-breaking work, including the first research on Viagra (Sildenafil).
- We cover the study of sexual dysfunction, addressing sexual medicine for all sexes and genders as an interdisciplinary field. We also publish numerous special features, including Wilson's Workshop, and welcome comments and reviews focusing on key topics.
- We ensure high visibility for your publication through the nature.com platform. We also provide guidance to authors on how to expand the reach of their work through repositories and our free SharedIt initiative.
- We offer funder-compliant open access options.
8 issues per year
Our publishing models
International Journal of Impotence Research is a Transformative Journal (TJ). When research is accepted for publication, authors can choose to publish using either the traditional publishing route OR via immediate gold Open Access.
International Journal of Impotence Research is actively committed to becoming a fully Open Access journal. We will increase the number of articles we publish OA, with the eventual goal of becoming a fully Open Access journal. A journal that commits to this process is known as a Transformative Journal.
Authors may need to take specific actions to achieve compliance with funder and institutional open access mandates. If your research is supported by a funder that requires immediate open access (e.g. according to Plan S principles) then you should select the gold OA route, and we will direct you to the compliant route where possible. For authors selecting the subscription publication route our standard licensing terms will need to be accepted including our self-archiving policies. Those standard licensing terms will supersede any other terms that the author or any third party may assert apply to any version of the manuscript.
Article metrics such as number of downloads, citations and online attention are available from each article page, and provide an overview of the attention received by a paper.
The 2020 peer review performance metrics for IJIR: Your Sexual Medicine Journal are shown below:
Average time to decision without external review - 8 days
Average time to decision following external review - 51 days
Average time from submission to acceptance - 103 days
Average time from acceptance to publication - 13 days
Article page views - 1,607,772
Altmetric mentions - 2,222
The 2020 journal metrics for IJIR: Your Sexual Medicine Journal are as follows:
2-year Impact Factor*: 2.896
5-year Impact Factor*: 2.433
Immediacy index*: 1.032
Eigenfactor® score*: 0.0011
Article influence score*: 0.437
JCR Rank*: 43/90 Urology & Nephrology
Journal Citation Score*: 0.7
*2020 Journal Citation Reports® Science Edition (Clarivate Analytics, 2021)
Elsevier BIOBASE/Current Awareness in Biological Sciences
Current Opinion in Urology
Current Contents/Clinical Medicine
Science Citation Index
UK Health Centre Index
ISSN and eISSN
International standard serial number (ISSN): 0955-9930
Electronic international standard serial number (eISSN): 1476-5489.
IJIR: Your Sexual Medicine Journal now provides its latest table of contents as an RSS web feed. This allows users with an RSS reader to receive automatic updates whenever new content is added to these pages.