About the Journal
Aims and Scope
Heredity is the official journal of the Genetics Society. It covers a broad range of topics within the field of genetics and therefore papers must address conceptual or applied issues of interest to the journal's wide readership. The focus should thus be on broad general lessons that can be extended across systems.
The journal particularly encourages submissions in the following areas:
- population genetics/ genomics
- functional genomics, transcriptomics, metabolomics and proteomics
- ecological genetics
- evolutionary genetics
- quantitative genetics
- adaptation genomics
- crop and livestock genetics/ genomics
Heredity's original articles cover new theory and primary empirical research that offers novel insights, using the latest advances in technological and analytical tools. The journal also publishes regular reviews and special issues on current topics.
12 issues per year
Article metrics such as number of downloads, citations and online attention are available from each article page, and provide an overview of the attention received by a paper.
The 2018 peer review performance metrics for Heredity are shown below:
- Average time to decision without external review - 5 days
- Average time to decision following external review - 48 days
- Articles published online within approximately 21 days and in print within 3 months.
- Over 51,000 recipients in receipt of the monthly electronic table of contents alert.
- The Heredity website has over 50,000 page views per month.
The 2018 journal metrics* for Heredity are as follows:
- 2-year Impact Factor: 3.872
- Journal Rank: 46 /171 Genetics and Heredity, 15/49 Evolutionary Biology, 31/158 Ecology
- 5-year Impact Factor: 3.920
- Immediacy index: 0.963
- Eigenfactor® score: 0.012
- Article Influence Score: 1.426
*2017 Journal Citation Reports® Science Edition (Clarivate Analytics, 2018)
Current Contents/Agriculture, Biology & Environmental Sciences
Currrent Contents/Life Sciences
EBSCO Discovery Service
Science Citation Index
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
Summon by ProQuest
EBSCO Academic Search
EBSCO Advanced Placement Source
EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
EBSCO Food Science Source
EBSCO STM Source
EBSCO TOC Premier
EBSCO Biological and Agricultural Index
ISSN and eISSN
International standard serial number (ISSN): 0018-067X
Electronic international standard serial number (eISSN): 1365-2540..
Heredity now provides its latest table of contents as an RSS web feed. This allows users with an RSS reader to receive automatic updates whenever new content is added to these pages.
Receive Heredity's current issue table of contents.
Find out more about RSS feeds, how to download an RSS reader and see all the newsfeeds offered by Springer Nature.