Aims and scope
The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition (EJCN) is an international, peer-reviewed journal covering all aspects of human and clinical nutrition. The journal welcomes original research, reviews, case reports and brief communications based on clinical, metabolic and epidemiological studies that describe methodologies, mechanisms, associations and benefits of nutritional interventions for clinical disease and health promotion.
Topics of interest include but are not limited to:
- Nutrition and Health (including climate and ecological aspects)
- Metabolism & Metabolomics
- Genomics and personalized strategies in nutrition
- Nutrition during the early life cycle
- Health issues and nutrition in the elderly
- Phenotyping in clinical nutrition
- Nutrition in acute and chronic diseases
- The double burden of 'malnutrition': Under-nutrition and Obesity
- Prevention of Non Communicable Diseases (NCD)
The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition covers a range of subject areas. To read content across the scope of the journal view the journal's subjects page here.
Why publish in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition?
- First published in 1947, we are an international, peer-reviewed journal addressing all global human nutritional issues.
- We are ranked in the top quartile of Nutrition and Dietetics journals, offering highly competitive journal metrics.
- We do not apply submission fees, and we provide high levels of author satisfaction, with 94% of our published authors reporting that they would definitely or probably publish with us again.
- Wide exposure and article visibility via nature.com, plus authors can share their article using Springer Natures sharing initiative SharedIt
- Funder compliant open access options available
12 issues per year
Our publishing models
European Journal of Clinical Nutrition is a Transformative Journal (TJ). When research is accepted for publication, authors can choose to publish using either the traditional publishing route OR via immediate gold Open Access.
European Journal of Clinical Nutrition is actively committed to becoming a fully Open Access journal. We will increase the number of articles we publish OA, with the eventual goal of becoming a fully Open Access journal. A journal that commits to this process is known as a Transformative Journal.
Authors may need to take specific actions to achieve compliance with funder and institutional open access mandates. If your research is supported by a funder that requires immediate open access (e.g. according to Plan S principles) then you should select the gold OA route, and we will direct you to the compliant route where possible. For authors selecting the subscription publication route our standard licensing terms will need to be accepted including our self-archiving policies. Those standard licensing terms will supersede any other terms that the author or any third party may assert apply to any version of the manuscript.
Article metrics such as number of downloads, citations and online attention are available from each article page, and provide an overview of the attention received by a paper.
The 2020 peer review performance metrics for European Journal of Clinical Nutrition are shown below:
Average time to decision without external review - 9 days
Average time to decision following external review - 78 days
Average time from submission to acceptance - 169 days
Average time from acceptance to publication - 14 days
Article page views - 2,252,424
Altmetric mentions - 5,570
The 2020 journal metrics for European Journal of Clinical Nutrition are as follows:
2-year Impact Factor*:4.016
5-year Impact Factor*: 4.196
Immediacy index*: 1.786
Eigenfactor® score*: 0.01148
Article influence score*: 1.011
JCR Rank*: 39/89 Nutrition & Dietetics
Journal Citation Score*: 0.81
*2020 Journal Citation Reports® Science Edition (Clarivate Analytics, 2021)
EBSCO Discovery Service
Current Contents Clinical Medicine
Current Contents Life Sciences
Science Citation Index
Science Citation Index Expanded (SciSearch)
Summon by ProQuest
EBSCO Academic Search
EBSCO Advanced Placement Source
EBSCO Biomedical Reference Collection
ISSN and eISSN
International standard serial number (ISSN): 0954-3007
Electronic international standard serial number (eISSN): 1476-5640.
The European Journal of Clinical Nutrition now provides its latest table of contents as an RSS web feed. This allows users with an RSS reader to receive automatic updates whenever new content is added to these pages.