BDJ Open is a peer-reviewed, open-access, online journal publishing dental and oral health primary research from all disciplines. The journal is owned by the British Dental Association, and published in partnership with Springer Nature. We publish technically sound, scientifically valid primary research from across dental and oral health research.
The Journal's Editor-in-Chief is Dr Stephen Hancocks OBE.
Why publish in BDJ Open?
- BDJ Open is an international, peer-reviewed, open-access, online-only journal.
- Part of the BDJ Portfolio, we publish research from all oral health and dental disciplines.
- Maximum visibility of your work – reach dental researchers and decision-makers globally.
Article Processing Charge
If your article is accepted following our peer review process then an article processing charge (APC) will be payable. The APC is determined at the date of acceptance. More information on the current APCs for BDJ Open can be found here.
The 2022 journal citation metrics for BDJ Open are as follows:
- 2-year Impact Factor*: 3.0
- Journal Citation Indicator (JCI)*: 1.30
- Rank by JCI*: 23/156 (Dentistry, Oral Surgery & Medicine)
- SNIP**: 0.739
- SJR**: 0.267
*2022 Journal Citation Reports® (Clarivate Analytics, 2023).
Average decision times for 2022:
Time to first decision for non-peer reviewed content:
- Median = 14 days
- Average = 6 days
Time to first decision for peer reviewed content:
- Median = 25 days
- Average = 39 days
7 days to first decision for all manuscripts (Median)
91 Submission to accept (Median)
134 Submission to publication (Median)
- 188,336 Downloads (2022)**
- 156 Altmetric mentions for articles published in 2022
- Google Scholar
- PubMed Central
The ISSN (online) for BDJ Open is 2056-807X.