Article metrics for:
Last updated: Sun, 20 Oct 2019 01:26:07 GMT
Altmetric score (what's this?)
- Tweeted by 162
- Blogged by 4
- On 6 Facebook pages
- Picked up by 182 news outlets
- 1 Reddit
- 1 Wikipedia
- 52 readers on Mendeley
This Altmetric score means that the article is:
- in the 99th percentile (ranked 92nd) of the 252,807 tracked articles of a similar age in all journals
- in the 75th percentile (ranked 1st) of the 4 tracked articles of a similar age in Scientific Reports
Mentions in news, blogs & Google+
News articles (182)
- How Our Toothbrushes Are Littering Paradise New York Times
- Plastic in oceans: 414 million pieces of trash found on Cocos Islands Business Insider
- Meet the tropical islands that are now a plastics dumpster Yahoo! News
- Scientists found 414 million pieces of trash on these tiny islands in the Indian Ocean - more proof that the plastic problem is out of control Business Insider India
- Remote Island Chain Has Few People — But Hundreds Of Millions Of Pieces Of Plastic Oregon Public Broadcasting
- Paradies mit 373.000 angespülten Zahnbürsten Der Tagesspiegel
- Plastic pollution: Flip-flop tide engulfs 'paradise' island BBC News
- Islands which inspired Charles Darwin now drowning in a sea of plastic Yahoo! News
Scientific blogs (4)
- Scientists Find 238 Tons of Plastic Waste on Remote Indian Ocean Islands Yale Environment 360
- A Remote Australian Archipelago Is Home to Roughly 600 People and 414 Million Pieces of Trash Environment | Mother Jones
- What remote islands can tell us about plastic consumption, community, and cleaning up Nature Ecology & Evolution Community
- Top Global Sustainability Papers: May to August 2019 Future Earth
|Country||Tweets||% of Tweets|
|Hong Kong SAR China||1||0.62%|
|No location data||68||41.98%|
Explanation of terms and methodology
Web of Science, CrossRef and Altmetric
Single number count for article citations from each service's database may vary by service. The citations counts are reliant on the availability of the individual APIs from Web of Science and CrossRef. These counts are updated daily once they become available. Once a citation count is available, the list of articles citing this one is accessible by clicking on the circle for that citation source.
News, blogs and Google+ posts
The number of times an article has been cited by individual mainstream news sources, blog post, or member of Google+ along with a link to the original article or post. News articles, blog posts and Google+ posts do not always link to articles in a way that can be picked up by aggregators used by Altmetric, so the listed links are not necessarily a reflection of the entire scope of media, blog or Google+ interest. Further, the list of blogs and news sources covered is manually curated by Altmetric and thus is subject to their discretion for inclusion as a scientific blog or media source. The news, blog, and Google+ posts are provided by Altmetric and are updated hourly.
Altmetric calculates a score based on the online attention an article receives. Each coloured thread in the circle represents a different type of online attention and the number in the centre is the Altmetric score. The score is calculated based on two main sources of online attention: social media and mainstream news media. Altmetric also tracks usage in online reference managers such as Mendeley and CiteULike, but these do not contribute to the score. Older articles will typically score higher because they have had more time to get noticed. To account for this, Altmetric has included the context data for articles of a "similar age" (published within 6 weeks of either side of the publication date of this article).
For a more detailed description of Altmetric, the Altmetric score, and sources used, please see Altmetric's information page.
Provides the number of tweets broken down by country of origin for the Twitter account. The geographic breakdown for the twitter sources is provided by Altmetric and is updated hourly.