THE Philosophical Magazine was first published in 1798, and the board of directors and the editorial board have every reason to be proud of the journal‘s record during its long life of a hundred and fifty years. The title-page to the first volume indicates a breadth of interest “comprehending the various branches of science, the liberal and fine arts, agriculture, manufactures and commerce”. Succeeding volumes of the Magazine have achieved for it an international reputation as a scientific journal in the realm of physical and mathematical science. David Brewster, John Tyndall, William Thomson, Oliver Lodge, J. J. Thomson are names to be found in the list of editois who succeeded Alexander Tilloch and Richard Taylor, and it is not surprising that such men of science have been responsible for the publication of important papers by research workers in various fields, including those of relativity and atomic physics. The traditionally high standard of the Philosophical Magazine has been well maintained, and we wish the periodical every success on the journey towards the two hundredth anniversary of its foundation.