THE best wishes of scientific men everywhere go to Prof. G. D. Hale Carpenter on the occasion of his retirement from the Hope professorship of zoology at Oxford. He has occupied this chair since 1933 when he succeeded the late Sir Edward Poulton. After taking his degree in the honours school of natural science at Oxford, Prof. Carpenter gained a scholarship at St. George‘s Hospital Medical School, London. There he completed the usual medical courses, and obtained the certificate with distinction of the London School of Tropical Medicine. Thus qualified, he joined the Colonial Medical Service in 1910 and was appointed in the same year to the Royal Society‘s Sleeping Sickness Commission in Uganda. In the First World War he served in the East African Campaign during the years 1914–18. Afterwards he was made specialist officer for the control of sleeping sickness in Uganda from 1920 until 1930 and, in the following year, he retired from the Colonial Service.