DR. BLACKMAN‘S successor is Mr. Herbert Walter Fairman, who has been an active worker in the field since 1929 (war-service excepted). Mr. Fairman was born at Clare, Suffolk, in 1907; but he spent his early years in Egypt, where his father was a missionary. He was educated at Goudhurst School, Kent, going eventually to the University of Liverpool, where he studied Egyptology under the late Prof. Peet. For the next ten years he took part in excavations conducted in Egypt and the Sudan by the Egypt Exploration Society—at the cemetery of the Buchis bulls at Armant, 1929–31 ; at El-Amarnah, 1930–36 ; at Sesebi, 1936–38 ; at Amarah West, 1938–39 and 1947–48. In 1937 he became the Society‘s field director. At Armant and Amarnah he Was primarily responsible for the publication of the inscriptions. The need to interpret the difficult late writing of the Ptolemaic and Roman inscriptions relating to the Buchis bulls led him to specialize in the texts of those periods, and he has become one of the very few contemporary authorities on them. During 1940–47 he Was engaged in war-time duties at the British Embassy, Cairo, and while there he gave many lectures on Ancient Egypt to troops in his spare time. It is hoped that his teaching duties at Liverpool will leave him opportunities to continue his researches into the texts of the latest periods, which contain many remarkable matters not generally known even to Egyptologists.