THE Cambridge University Educational Film Council was formed in February 1947 “to promote the use of films in higher education and for the purpose of academic research”. The ultimate aim of the Council is the establishment by the University of Cambridge of a Film Centre with adequate facilities for the production, projection and storage of educational films ; meanwhile, it is collecting information about educational films and film strips already in existence, giving technical advice to university departments wanting to make or project films, encouraging professional film units to consult with university teachers on the films required and their economic distribution, and arranging for the exchange of films with academic bodies of all kinds in Great Britain and other countries. Membership is open to members of the University, and all Faculties and Departments at Cambridge are automatically members of the Council. The General Board of Faculties and the Cambridge University Press appoint representatives to its executive committee. A memorandum on the provision of cinematograph facilities at Cambridge has been submitted by the Council to the General Board. The Council has already produced for distribution within the University a list of sources from which films suitable for use in university education can be procured, and obtained particulars of films made in Cambridge ; it has also set up a library of film catalogues from Great Britain and abroad, and collected information regarding the use of films in a number of university departments outside Cambridge. At the suggestion of the Council, a conference on the use of films in universities was convened by the British Film Institute and the Scientific Film Association in November 1947, and a Universities Film Council for the British Isles has been established.
About this article
To Own or Not to Own: How Ownership Effects User Innovation? - An Empirical Study in the Rowing Sport Market
SSRN Electronic Journal (2012)