In the detailed statement as to the number of non-industrial Civil Servants in departments with staffs of more than a thousand at April 1, 1947, circulated by the Chancellor of the Exchequer in Hansard of July 1 in reply to a question in the House of Commons, the staff of the Department of Scientific and Industrial Research is given as 2,248, as against 1,502 on April 1, 1939. The Forestry Commission now employs 1,334 as against 509, the Ministry of Agriculture and Fisheries 6,233 instead of 2,591, the Ministry of Education 2,898 instead of 2,078, the Ministry of Health 5,087 as against 6,676, the Department of Agriculture, Scotland, 1,376 instead of 659, and the Department of Health, Scotland, 1,013 in place of 991. The total is now 702,363 as against 382,709 in 1939; of this number 262,372 are in the Post Office. In the debate on the Post Office on the following day some reference was made to research, and the Assistant Postmaster-General stated that a house has been taken at Stone, Staffordshire, where a thousand engineers would be trained, some of whom have been at Dollis Hill. The accommodation thus released would be available for carrying out fundamental research, and by 1950 it is expected to have 150 fully qualified scientific men and engineers on such research. It is proposed to double the major engineering and scientific staff at Dollis Hill during the next few years.