Mr. J. A. Harle, head of the Technical and Research Department of Messrs. A. Reyrolle & Co., Ltd., has been appointed professor of electrical engineering in the University of Alberta at Edmonton, Canada, and is sailing early in August to take up his appointment on September 1. He served his time with Messrs. C. A. Parsons and Co., Ltd., and studied at Armstrong (now King's) College under the late Prof. W. M. Thornton, graduating with distinction in 1919. He was appointed lecturer in electrical engineering at Armstrong College in the same year. In 1922 the late Mr. Clothier invited him to join the Technical and Research Department of Messrs. A. Reyrolle & Co., Ltd., and he took over the headship of the Department in 1937, when he succeeded Mr. B. H. Leeson. Mr. Harle served as chairman of the North-Eastern Centre of the Institution of Electrical Engineers during the session 1944–45, and he has been the Institution's area member for the Education and Training Advisory Service for returned Service members. He is particularly interested in insulation and circuit-breaking problems, both from the research and from the standardization point of view.