The Geological Society of Turkey (Türkiye Geoloji Kuruma) was officially founded in June 1946 at Ankara. The headquarters are in the Institute of Mining Research, Ankara, and the officers are: President, Prof. H. N. Pamir; Vice-President, Dr. M. R. Egemen; Secretary, Dr. G. Otkun; Treasurer, M. Tasman. The objects of the Society are to promote geological research and encourage the study of geology, and to foster contact and collaboration between the various branches of applied geology. Its activities include conferences, lectures and discussions on geological topics; geological excursions both in Turkey and abroad; publication of a bulletin and memoirs of original research; establishment of a library; maintenance of close relations with similar bodies abroad and participation at international geological congresses. Much has already been done since the founding of the Society. Two conferences and an excursion have been held in Ankara, the first of which (February 24–28) comprised papers on local geology, including a comparison of Scotland and Turkey by Prof. W. J. McCallien, of the University of Ankara, and on petrology and geophysics, and a whole-day excursion to the Haymana region south of Ankara. Preparations are now being made for the publication of the first bulletin. The present membership is one hundred, and there are twelve foreign members and correspondents.