On June 27, Mrs. Lewis Douglas, wife of the American Ambassador in London, unveiled a commemorative tablet in Benjamin Franklin House, 36 Craven Street, London, W.C.2. This is the headquarters of the British Society for International Understanding, an educational organisation which was formed early in 1939 to promote among the British people a genuine understanding about other nations. It was in this house that Benjamin Franklin, one of the founders of the American Constitution, lived between 1757 and 1775 as agent for Pennsylvania, and carried out his electrical experiments, notably on the lightning conductor, and wrote much of his work. During the Second World War, the house was severely damaged by incendiary and explosive bombs. It has, however, been restored so far as possible to its original condition, with the aid of the American Philosophical Society, the Historical Society of Pennsylvania, the Franklin Institute of Philadelphia and Miss Caroline Bache, a great-great-great-granddaughter of Benjamin Franklin.