THE sixty-ninth annual general meeting of the Royal Institute of Chemistry was held on April 18. In presenting the report of the Council for 1946, the president, Mr. G. Roche Lynch, referred to some of the principal developments in the work of the Institute. Closer contact with the four Dominion chemical institutes had been established through a meeting with their representatives which was held in London last June. The first edition of a “Directory of Independent Consultants in Chemistry and Related Subjects” was, issued during the year. Highly successful courses in “Oils and Fats” and “Spectroscopy”, arranged at the University of Liverpool by the Liverpool and North Western Section of the Institute, represented the first of the series of courses, conferences and symposia to be held under the auspices of the Institute as such. Through the generosity of Dr. David Spence, a series of Henderson Memorial Lectures had been established as a tribute to the memory of the late Prof. G. G. Henderson, a past president of the Institute ; and the first lecture in this series was delivered by Sir Ian Heilbron. By agreement between the Ministry of Education and the Institute, the scheme for national certificates has been amended so as to provide separate certificates in chemistry and in applied chemistry. During 1946, the membership of the Institute (fellows and associates) passed the 10,000 mark. Mr. G. Roche Lynch was elected president for 1947-48.