FOUNDED in 1929 for the purpose of publishing in French or English the results of researches conducted by Czechoslovak chemists, the Collection of Czechoslovak Chemical Communications, which ceased publication in 1939, has now been resumed under the same editorial direction of Profs. J. Heyrovsky and E. Votocek. The first issue for 1947 contains an appreciation of the scientific work of Prof. Antonin Simek, who was executed by the Germans during the War (see Nature, 152, 69 ; 1943). About half this issue is taken up with the recent polarographic researches of Heyrovsky and his co-workers, who have studied certain phenomena at the dropping (and streaming) mercury cathode both polarographically and oscillographically. These open up an important new field in the study of electrode interfaces. From the laboratory of Prof. Votocek there is a paper on the synthesis of the remaining mono-methyl-azulene. The authors, F. Šorm and J. Fajkoš, started with cis- and trans-cyclopentane-dipropionic-(1, 2)-acids, and by a series of interesting steps arrived at the trinitrobenzene compound of 6-methyl -azulene. This was decomposed chromatographically over an aluminium hydroxide column. Finally, methyl-azulene was crystallized as a purple-blue solid, m.p. 83° C. Another contribution to organic chemistry is by Dr. R. Lukes, who describes N-methyl-126.96.36.199.-tetrahydropyridine.The subscription for the journal has been raised to £2 or 400 Czechoslovak crowns.