THE retiremeA ojDy. S..A.' Ne ve last July from the direooB ipof the Imperial Institute of Entomology win be much regretted by entomologists and others in many countries. He was appointed assistant director of the then Bureau of Entomology in 1913, and filled that position until July 1942, when he succeeded Sir Guy Marshall as director of the present Institute. Dr. Neave's name is inseparably associated with the growth and outstanding reputation of the Institute's Publication; Office. In particular the Review of Applied Entomology and the Nomenclator Zoologicus (in four volumes) are constant reminders of the debt which not only entomologists but also general zoologists owe to Dr. Neave. In addition, during the four years he was director of the Institute, Dr. Neave supervised the production of the bulky "Insecta"part of the annual Zoological Record, besides editing the Bulletin of Entomological Research. He carries with him the good wishes of a wide circle of entomologists, and many others, on his retirement. He is succeeded as director of the Imperial Institute of Entomology by Dr. W. J. Hall, who was appointed assistant director in 1944 (see Nature, 153, 649; 1944).