Dr. Brynmor Jones has been appointed to the chair of che*pjs,try inyjimiversity College, Hull. Dr. Jones to ds: hjs B.SJuegree with first-class honours in Ph.D. degree at Bangor. After a throe years with the late Prof. T. M. Camoridge, Dr. Jones went to Sheffield as assistant lecturer in chemistry in 1931 and was promoted lecturer and senior lecturer in 1934 and 1939 respectively. His researches have been mainly concerned with the kinetics of the halogenation of aromatic compounds; elegant and extensive developments from the earlier experiments of the late Prof. K. J. P. Orton and his school at Bangor have been made, and the accurate velocity measurements have played an important part in the development of organic chemical theory. Dr. Jones has also published original work on a variety of topics including the rotary dispersion of organic compounds, liquid crystals, and aromatic substitution; during the War he carried out researches on behalf of the Ministry of Supply (Chemical Defence Research Department). As local representative at Sheffield and as a member of Council of the Chemical Society, Dr. Jones has given devoted services in the interests of chemistry in the Sheffield area. In addition, he has played an active part in numerous University activities, and recently he has compiled a valuable and interesting account of t h e contributions made by the University of Sheffield towards the war effort.